Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 16, 2019, 10:36:53 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar Development
| | |-+  Jagfiles - Developer tools, schematics, files galore!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Jagfiles - Developer tools, schematics, files galore!!!  (Read 10962 times)
atarimuseum

« on: September 20, 2009, 07:41:59 pm »

I was hoping Sauron was going to make a home for these and I have never had time to put together a nice layout page for people to go through them and download, I gave these all to Jason at JSII and told him I'd give him plenty of time to use them for his Extremist packages and that eventually I would post them all up for all to d/l for free, well the day has come:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/jagfiles

Spread these far and wide, make sure everyone has access to them, learns from them and uses them to everyone's benefit and for crying out loud - stop arguing and start coding, make some damned games - release them for free, let people try them out then if interest is high, then do a pre-order thing, take in some orders and make carts or cd's or whatever, but release the games first, even if you do a limited demo, just give people a free taste of games to play, but do the right thing by all and for yourselves and the jag community ---

Lastly - HAVE FUN!!!

VIDEOGAMES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FUN...

SO HAVE AT IT  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Curt

ggn

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:32:07 pm »

Great stuff, thanks for sharing for free Smiley

Curt, if you ever require a mirror, just whistle Wink

Now, let's get assembling!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:34:58 pm by ggn » Logged
ChrisTOS

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:06:21 pm »

Thank you very much Curt.

I don't think that this should be left like this on its own though. So I propose that each one of us gets a file, make a small description of it and suggestions on how it can be used and with which software.
 But I think it will be best if I demonstrate what I mean. I think the mods here can then make it a proper full post with all our contributions. What do you all think? 

Cyrano Jones

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 10:49:39 pm »

Curt, this is fantastic. Thank you very much for this.

I've already started going thru this stuff and begun sorting it out. There seems to be quite a bit of duplication in some files. Once that's done I'll put up a page with some descriptions.

As for releasing new games..... watch Jagware and our websites. 2009 is the year of change for the Jaguar Smiley
sh3-rg

push the button today

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 11:17:14 pm »

stop arguing and start coding, make some damned games - release them for free ... do the right thing by all and for yourselves and the jag community

I think you just re-ignited my interest in Jaguar a little bit. Sharing this kind of stuff openly & freely has to be the best for anyone and everyone who is interested in making games for Jaguar. I'd guess a good part of the stuff there isn't really all that useful to most people in the community, but having it out there for anyone to access might just help convince a few more people that making games on Jaguar isn't as difficult as it has been made out to be & it's something anyone can get involved in. The more resources the better. Thanks for the generosity.

Now people are going to have to decide how to tackle that lot Wink It's going to need a coordinated effort to do it justice. There's a number of things that could be done with it, digging out useful routines & all that is one thing obvisouly, but there's other possibilities such as modifying some of the games for...

Lastly - HAVE FUN!!!

VIDEOGAMES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FUN...

SO HAVE AT IT  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

...yes, just for some fun Smiley It seems fun isn't on some people's playlists... I don't know when the Jaguar became a big political merry-go-round of hate, bullying and exclusion & tbh I'm past caring - out of sight, out of mind... there's enough decent folk who actually do care about the things that really matter to make it worth while and counter-balance all the fanciful frolicking a little Wink

_ __sh3/reservoir_gods^reboot___ _
doctorclu

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 03:59:46 am »

I've already started going thru this stuff and begun sorting it out. There seems to be quite a bit of duplication in some files. Once that's done I'll put up a page with some descriptions.

Awesome.  I would like to help if possible because I think most of the time people get a little put off by the amount of stuff there and sometimes do not know where to start.

Part of the problem is figuring out what applications open these files created on computers 16 years ago.  Some of the file types have carried on fine, and some you have to reach back a bit.

For someone like me a guide saying ".xxx extension means this application" and maybe even give good hints on where that application can be found for current PC and Macs.  Not sure how big the ST and Amiga base of developers are at this point.
doctorclu

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 04:31:54 am »

.dwg
A CAD drawing.

eDrawings viewer
http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/MAC_Viewer.html

(Below are screen prints of the files from the "JagConsoleDrawings" in the sub folder of "Jag Console Drawings")

TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 06:36:07 am »

This is great, Curt! These files deserve to be free!  Cool

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
ggn

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 06:44:58 am »

Doc,

Since you started (Wink ), would you like to go through all the CAD drawings, convert them to PDF and posting them in the thread Chris started? Only thing that needs to be taken care of is "printing" at the page size specified (usually at the bottom right plate, if not specified, A3 will do Smiley ).
doctorclu

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 12:15:02 pm »

Sure thing.   I could probably make the screen prints a bit bigger at least.
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:28:09 am »

I love how i'm lumped into some kind of negative group(by somebody at JSII) because I thought Curt was doing something cool here. Go figure.  Sad

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
Cyrano Jones

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 12:38:36 am »

Don't worry about it. Everyone is welcome here, and we do value your input.

Closed societies shrivel and die, as do closed minded people.
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 12:48:16 am »

I guess it's what happens when you post something contrary to the status quo. 3500 posts and i'm still a newbie, perhaps. Wink

Cyrano Jones

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 02:23:49 am »

Hey, if that's the Status Quo then I'm glad we're here "rockin' all over the world" ;-)
sh3-rg

push the button today

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 10:52:51 am »

I love how i'm lumped into some kind of negative group(by somebody at JSII) because I thought Curt was doing something cool here. Go figure.  Sad

You can't change people's hearts and minds over night. What Curt did in releasing those files, while very positive, helpful & symbolic of a hope for a future jaguar community without the drama, well, I can imagine a handful of people, and a handful is all it needs, see it quite differently or have their reasons for wanting it to look that way. There's no shades of gray and it's the drama they live for, not the fun of making games & playing them... actual games? that's just by-the-by. No doubt there's some there that find what Curt did in giving the files even more distasteful than what you did by posting here, so don't worry, it will be forgotten soon enough.

Some people will try to tell you that 2009 is the worst year for the Jaguar so far, when people look back in a few years I firmly believe it'll be seen as one of the best or most productive but sadly also one of the most backward as the community got further divided by the powers the be.

_ __sh3/reservoir_gods^reboot___ _
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length