Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 07:01:12 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar Emulators
| | |-+  Virtual Jaguar Madness!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Virtual Jaguar Madness!  (Read 18734 times)
Shamus

« on: September 16, 2009, 01:51:22 am »

OK, so I'm here. Let's talk. Smiley

I'll go first: The status of the emulator is that it's in sad shape and I'm pretty sure most of the problems we were having with compatibility stemmed from that fact. So we're in the middle of rewriting stuff so that things like interrupts and memory accesses work the way they're supposed to. Smiley Once that's done, it's on to the blitter and fixing it so that it's 100% (or as close as we can come to that) accurate. From there, real CD emulation and fun stuff like that. Once we get the compatibility to a decent point then we can start optimizing stuff.

In the meantime, we have a public-facing SVN repository that anyone can pull code from. As a matter of fact, we need someone to help in building the win32/64 side of things. Tongue Aside from that, help with regression testing is always appreciated. Wink

OK, your turn. Smiley
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:14:14 am »

As a matter of fact, we need someone to help in building the win32/64 side of things. Tongue

I have a mingw32 setup with gcc 4.3.x (iirc). Does that fit the bill? Or you're targeting Visual Studio?

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
Shamus

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:23:56 pm »

Visual Studio is not required. Grin MinGW should work fine, but we were finding it difficult to get libcdio built. If you can manage to get that built, we're golden. Smiley

If we can't get libcdio working on all our platforms, we're looking at the very real prospect of writing our own compatibility library. Or at least patching libcdio so it works where it should. Tongue
ggn

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 11:29:42 pm »

Visual Studio is not required. Grin MinGW should work fine, but we were finding it difficult to get libcdio built. If you can manage to get that built, we're golden. Smiley

If we can't get libcdio working on all our platforms, we're looking at the very real prospect of writing our own compatibility library. Or at least patching libcdio so it works where it should. Tongue

Hi,

I installed a fresh copy of mingw32 today just for testing, and after fiddling a LOT with libcdio (mainly dependencies), I actually managed to get it to compile 100% Smiley

I then proceeded to build vj (checked out latest svn trunk), but the make process stopped dead on its tracks with this message:

src/jaguar.cpp:364:49: warning: missing terminating ' character
src/jaguar.cpp: In function 'void JaguarExecute(uint32*, bool)':
src/jaguar.cpp:1519: error: 'm68kClockRate' was not declared in this scope
src/jaguar.cpp:1514: warning: unused variable 'm68kCockRate'
src/jaguar.cpp: At global scope:
src/jaguar.cpp:91: warning: 'start' defined but not used
make: *** [obj/jaguar.o] Error 1

Then I realised I wasn't having any fun so I booted up my Falcon and started coding Smiley. So, to be continued...
Shamus

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:24:35 am »

Yeah, trunk is broken ATM. I'll be sure to post here when it's working again. Smiley
ggn

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:08:35 pm »

Please do, I'm horrible at C, and I guess you guys are more experienced in fiddling with the source than me Smiley

In any case, my build environment (with libcdio installed!) will be waiting...
doctorclu

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 03:57:04 am »

I was trying to get the Macintosh version working again tonight.  Had it working before.  Strangely I could not get it to see the cfg file no matter where I put it.  Suck.
Shamus

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 09:37:49 pm »

Well, like I said in another thread Wink that issue is likely fixed in SVN. But you can still set some options in the GUI, even if you don't have a config. At least I *think* so. The code is supposed to have some reasonable defaults set up for just such a case. Tongue
rcoltrane

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 12:57:42 am »

I'm a HUGE Atari Jaguar fan (despite the fact that I've never had this videogame) so I've downloaded the latest SVN binary available (296 - 20080211), and I'm impressed by the improvements. AvP is near perfect, with small HUD glitches for moving parts (Motion Tracker/Map/GunSelection). Are those glitches fixed in your current WIP version?

Sorry for asking this but, do you have plans to release an updated version anytime soon?  Roll Eyes

Congratulations Shamus for your efforts with this lovely system and keep with the great work!!  Grin

Regards,
Roger.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:59:14 am by rcoltrane » Logged
Shamus

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 05:03:03 am »

Hi Roger, I'm glad you found some use for the emu. Smiley Right now SVN HEAD is at r300, so any graphical glitches in AvP are probably still in there. There's a few off-by-one bugs in the current blitter (most likely a result of not paying proper attention to pipelining issues Tongue) so that may be what you're seeing there.

No problem asking about updates either; I may be a bitter old coot but I'm not gonna bite anyone's head off for asking. Wink The short answer is there will probably be a minor release once the memory subsystem is in a usable state again followed by a major release once the blitter is 100% (or as close as we can make it). (Side note: It would be nice if someone *cough* reboot *cough* could make us some nice graphics for our GUI... Grin)

Thanks for you interest in the project! Smiley
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 07:37:32 am »

I may be a bitter old coot but I'm not gonna bite anyone's head off for asking. Wink

You're at the wrong forum for that too Wink (I mean biting heads off!)

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
rcoltrane

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 01:09:27 pm »

(Side note: It would be nice if someone *cough* reboot *cough* could make us some nice graphics for our GUI... Grin)

What do you have in mind for that? Do you want it to look more like the Project Tempest GUI (default WinXP look) or do you want it to be more customized (hardcoded)?
Shamus

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 04:36:16 am »

It's going to be more like ZSNES & ScummVM (or Doom3 for that matter). For a while I was seriously considering a 3rd party solution like GuiChan, and may still go that way. But we'd still need some nice looking widgets no matter which way we go. Smiley What's in there now is pretty much proof-of-concept and ugly, but functioning. Tongue
Shamus

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 11:28:56 pm »

OK, now that I'm in the middle of the memory subsystem rewrite I'm finding some interesting questions are popping up. So if those of you who have a Jaguar dev system could answer them, that would be great! Smiley The number one question as of right now is what gets returned when reading from a write-only address? Also, what gets returned when reading from an address that has nothing hooked up to it (like, say, $600000) and does it depend on who's doing the reading (68K, GPU, DSP, OP)?

In doing the rewrite let's just say that I was sorely tempted to chuck out the entire codebase but I think now that I can mold this festering pile of code into something useable. Grin I'm also seriously considering adding a debugger; anyone who has any interest in such a thing please chime in with your needs and we'll see if it's going to be possible. Wink

ALSO: Forgot to mention, trunk builds again, but I think the emulation is b0rken. Expect much b0rkenness over the next few months... Tongue
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:32:53 pm by Shamus » Logged
mellis

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 02:50:29 am »

I am currently working on getting GCC to generate code for the JRISC processors, and as a result, I have been looking for a working Jaguar emulator for Mac OS X.  I am happy to report that I was ultimately able to get Virtual Jaguar to build and run under Mac OS X, but I had to have the Makefile and fix a syntax error in one of the sources.  As a point of interest, I built it under Snow Leopard (10.6) for X86_64 using GCC 4.2.1.

My question is this: is building on Mac OS X intended to work out-of-the-box?  If yes, would it be helpful for your to have the modifications I had to make in order to get the build to work?  Is there a particular individual to whom I should send that data?

Also, what type of debugging features are built into VJ?

Thanks to all of the Virtual Jaguar guys for your hard work! 

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length