Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 16, 2019, 10:13:41 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar Development
| | |-+  Idea/proposal for a new jaguar combo system plus hardware extension catridge/wid
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Idea/proposal for a new jaguar combo system plus hardware extension catridge/wid  (Read 3304 times)
carmel_andrews

« on: September 10, 2009, 12:19:32 am »

Idea/proposal for a new jaguar combo system plus hardware extension cartridge/widget

Sorry, I am not a tech head nor soldering iron friendly, so i am throwing it out there to you people (i.e Curt or others in the similar mould)

FPGA Based (i am guessing this device replicates all jaguar hardware feature/functions within a single chip)

Slightly more memory (betw. 4-16 meg)

Built around a lynx/game gear alike case

Jaguar cartridge thing located at the back or alternatively, at the bottom there would be a memory card connector for attaching mobile phone/digi cam alike memory cards (for playing jaguar cart images)

System would have its own screen but would also have tv/vga outout as well (so as to be a both a tradit. games system and also portable gaming device)

No controller onboard but system comes with 2 connectors to attach either a jaguar controller or a pc controller (via usb)

Idea for a hardware extension cartridge/widget (a’la sega 32x alike affair)

Based on similar housing to the 32x or slightly thinner, it would have slightly updated, debuuged versions of the jaguar HCS (hardware chip set) removing any restrictions/limitations associated with the original HCS plus either an 020/40/60 or PPC processor

New HCS would have additional capability in area’s of sound/graphics and additional memory addressing capabilities therefore engendering more advanced and more complex games for the system

FPGA based (to reducing the cost)

Connectors at the back will consist of a network port (to connect to broadband/wireless internet services), or other jaguars etc

2 SATA connectors (to use for PC internal hard drives or cd /dvd drives) allowing the creation of advanced or more complex games

2 USB ports for either a pc keyboard or memory sitck/external hd/cd/dvd drive
Built in memory card connector (to using mobile phone/digi cam alike memory cards) for gaming on the go and engendering more complex and advanced games

What do you people think

There is a market out there
Very big market, i.e 100’s if not 1000’s of sites supporting retro or classic gaming/computing, same or similar amount of sites out there supporting emulation and roms/games images for retro hardware platforms, and not forgetting the numerous sites manufacturing and selling/marketing knock off/cloned retro hardware (i.e nes/nes md/genesis/gameboy/genesis/md portables etc). That is our market and it’s big enough even before we attack the mainstream/general gaming markets
Cyrano Jones

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:21:08 am »

Nobody would want to make it. Nobody would want to buy it. Nobody would want to code on it.

We don't even have a working software emulator yet, so recreating all that is highly unlikely. And given that Jags have fairly good output via the edge connector, and sell for peanuts, it's not worth the effort.

Now, working out how to connect a standard SCSI/IDE CD-Rom to a Jaguar, that could be a nice project.
GroovyBee

Busy bee!

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:57:55 am »

Sorry to say, but I think it is a lot of work and stress for little gain. In my opinion the time taken to complete such a project by the hardware and software development resources available in the jag scene would be better spent elsewhere.
Matmook

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 06:33:40 pm »

Don't forget that the JagCF extension done by SCPCD and Zerosquare is coming  Cheesy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length