Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 16, 2019, 10:22:35 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar General Discussion
| | |-+  Trevor Raynsford: Programmer and the porter of Zool 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Trevor Raynsford: Programmer and the porter of Zool 2  (Read 25997 times)
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 07:07:36 pm »

Those are some very interesting stories.  Smiley

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
doctorclu

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 07:44:11 pm »

So for Zool-2 it was pretty simple. Use almost all the game code straight as 68000 code.  Re-write the parts for blitter use and display list management.

IIRC all the graphics were straightforward RGB16 and the sound was Amiga MODS and samples.  There was plenty of memory for everything uncompressed.

Trev you have posted some great stuff here and I will be asking questions about it in the next few days.  But man this has been cool.

I figured the game was mostly 68K code.   As for the compression, was it simply a matter of space, like trying to keep it under 2 meg in space, or were there other reasons for the compression?   I think it is funny that the DSP was used mainly for the decompression of code. 

Would it run faster if parts were uncompressed and the game turned into a 4 meg image?

Trev

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 09:39:02 am »

Would it run faster if parts were uncompressed and the game turned into a 4 meg image?
Not really. It was simply a matter of space. Cartridge games would have basically all the game code resident in main memory and that would decompress all the data for the next level into main memory at level load time.  It wasn't sensible to try load/decompress during a level.  So no speed advantage unless level load times are a real problem.  The Zool-2 cartridge was pretty full but bigger cartridges cost more to make!
doctorclu

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 07:40:12 am »

I guess with the lower cost of cartridges now and the means to be able to load 4 meg images on the flash m edia we have now (thank you Skunkboard crew) I guess I am amazed when I look at all the 2 meg games that came out.   I start to wonder what the games would have been like if more than 2 meg were used.

I always thought the limitations between Bubsy in the Jaguar and the version for the SNES in animations used was people maxing out the 4 meg cartridge.  But I am learning looking at the game that it is actually like 10 meg of stuff compressed to 2 meg.  This is amazing to me.  Smiley

Hey I have a question about the music player you wrote.  Do you remember what kind of mods it supported?   I hope to get creative at some point and see if some of my favorite mods will work through it and wondered if there were mod types it did and did not support? 
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 11:55:45 am »

Here's a question on behalf of the staff for Trevor: Would you honour us with an interview? Smiley

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
Trev

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 06:30:12 pm »

Hey I have a question about the music player you wrote.  Do you remember what kind of mods it supported?   I hope to get creative at some point and see if some of my favorite mods will work through it and wondered if there were mod types it did and did not support? 

The Jaguar player supported mods with max 4 channels of samples/effects.  I think the samples were also limited to 8-bits raw.  The Jaguar player allowed 2 additional channels for SFX samples, although most games only used one.  I think all the music effects aere available.

I didn't know there were different mod formats.

The SNES version had far fewer effects simply because the composer did not need them for the game and it saved a chunk of space for both the player and the compressed format I developed.
Trev

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »

Here's a question on behalf of the staff for Trevor: Would you honour us with an interview? Smiley

Be happy to  Smiley
doctorclu

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 05:14:42 am »

So has this interview happened?  Who was going to interview Trev?

And hey Trev, how's it going over there?  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length