Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 16, 2019, 10:22:55 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar Development
| | |-+  New life for "Fight for Life"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New life for "Fight for Life"  (Read 4640 times)
doctorclu

« on: August 08, 2009, 06:12:19 pm »

I want to change the character images on Fight For Life, so rather than looking like they are now, have mascots fighting... Rayman, Zool, Bubsy, Bently Bear, etc.

Make the theme where they fight to see who will be the Jaguar Mascot.  Smiley

What do you think it would take to change the character animations?

(And for those wondering, the source code, at least one version, exists for Fight For Life already.)
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:12:24 pm »

Doc, I simply need to spawn clones, I can barely keep up with you creating threads Wink

Right then, to business! As I have never seen the game before, I opted to see some footage from youtube. I was hoping to see a 2d fighter, and I was thinking it wouldn't be an easy nor a hard task to mod that game.

However I was greeted with a 3D, Virtua-fighter lookalike. Immediately my thoughts were "forget it!". However, for argument's sake I'll try to present, without seeing any code or anything else a list of steps that should at the very least be performed:

• Find out the 3D modeller that created the objects initially (can't even imagine the legal implications if it's an abandoned commercial piece of software)
  • Find out the format of the textures
  • Find out the maximum size of textures the game supports
  • Find out the format of the 3D objects, how they're exported from the modeller and what format the game expects
  • Find out the format of the game textures
  • Recruit able 3D modellers that will be able to use 15 year old 3D packages (best case scenario that, maybe newer versions will exist and are backwards compatible, we'll need to obtain a legal copy though whatever the case)
  • Animations need to be created
  • Recruit 2D graphicians that will create the skins for the characters (if the 3D modellers aren't up to the task)
  • Study the game code a LOT to see how everything is performed:
    • Is there bone/skeleton code?
    • Is there a file system? How is the data stored?
    • Is it just an animation replayer that expects data from the modeller?
    • How is collision performed?
    • Are there fixed hit points?
    • Is there any music? What format?
    • Is the data packed? Which packer?
    • How will changing models affect the AI?
  • Do the characters have special moves?

Well, that's about all I can think right now, I'm sure there are loads more I missed! Anyway, to summarize, looks like a daunting task :/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:18:55 pm by SpiderJerusalem » Logged

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 11:47:25 pm »

Heh, interesting idea.  I'm thinking it would be a tremendous amount of work if even possible though, as SpiderJerusalem has detailed some of it above.   Wink

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
doctorclu

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:46:53 am »

Yeh my main question for me would be to figure out what renderer they used, how to use it.  And then at that point, match characters up with as close to the characteristics of the original characters, and later see how to adjust those characteristics.

Hard to say, but if someone knows the renderer used, let us know.
doctorclu

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 12:19:34 pm »

I believe I might have found Francois-Yves Bertrand over at Midway games...
http://www.spoke.com/info/pmSSaL/Francois-yvesBertrand

And here we have Silvio Porretta who did the texture mapping for the game:
http://www.i-o-studio.com/
And some really cool concept art for Fight For Life I had not seen before...
http://www.i-o-studio.com/-2.html

I just love seeing that a lot of people who were involved with the Jaguar are still plugging away at what they were doing, and being successful at it.  Smiley

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:17:13 pm by doctorclu » Logged
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:21:05 pm »

Yeh my main question for me would be to figure out what renderer they used, how to use it.

There's a 99.999999999999% possibility  that the renderer was custom coded, so we won't find info for it unless the programmer steps in and hand it to us Smiley

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length