Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2019, 06:40:35 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar Development
| | |-+  BeOS... anyone tried it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BeOS... anyone tried it?  (Read 6421 times)
doctorclu

« on: August 08, 2009, 02:28:34 pm »

I was following the tools used in porting Elite 2 and found some interesting information, but learned they were under BeOS.  Has anyone tried this operating system?

Introduction on Atariage...
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91535&hl=elite+ii

Here is the page that has links to Elite 2, and the Jaguar tools under BeOS
http://www.freewebs.com/swapd0/

About BeOS
http://www.bebits.com/
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 02:58:12 pm »

Well I tried BeOS 5 waaaayyyyy back in time. To keep it short, it was a nice toy, but I didn't have too much disk space and I didn't want to nurse too many OSes (still don't), so it made way for a linux install Smiley (plus there wasn't anything exciting for me to switch to that instead of linux - in fact, it seemed to lack stuff).

I checked the tools - they seem fun, but if he provides the source code, I guess they could be easily be ported to other OSes.

Finally, the Elite 2 source can of course be assembled using other enviroments than his own tools. Source code is source code Smiley

Now then, if he has abandoned the porting, maybe someone should contact him about the possibility of adding his sources somewhere (even here!) for some other soul to pick up!

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
doctorclu

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 05:14:45 pm »

Agreed, still trying to find a way to contact him.  Will start by leaving a message on Atariage for him.
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 11:32:23 pm »

Well damn, now i'm curious about BeOS...I wonder if there's any way I can install the latest version(whatever that was...I assume BeOS isn't supported anymore?) on my iBook G4...

Gotta dig around...

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:44:34 pm »

I tried BeOS ages ago as well.  It was pretty neat, but lacked too many things at the time for me to seriously consider it much.

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 12:03:43 am »

Well damn, now i'm curious about BeOS...I wonder if there's any way I can install the latest version(whatever that was...I assume BeOS isn't supported anymore?) on my iBook G4...

Gotta dig around...

From what I read, BeOS is officially dead, but there's a project that immitates it called haiku.

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 12:29:14 am »

It looks like Haiku has a work in progress PPC port, but it's not ready for end-users yet.

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
overlord
Free Jaguar Project Admin

FJP Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 12:31:26 am »

I have not even thought about BeOS in a long, long time. It was a very nice OS with too little support and no clear platform. It was billed as a "multimedia" OS and had modern features which took other OSes a long time to catch up on. It is too bad that it never took off. Sad
swapd0

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 06:11:23 pm »

Hi everybody, sorry for being a bit late but my router died a week ago Tongue

BeOS... IMHO it was the BEST OS, it's fast, small, coded thinking in the future, 64 bit file system with journaling and multi-thread, with today CPU it must be  lighting-fast. The big problem... too few support form third party.

I never liked windows, the API is huge and obsolete (C code) and MFC is crap, sometimes is used as example of how-not-to-do-it. With linux the learning curve is a bit high, but BeOS was so easy, and the IDE was small, simple. That was my reason to code (in general just for fun/learning) in BeOS.

Later i got a Jaguar but the tools were for MS-DOS, anyway I always wanted to code something big/complicated like an assembler. Also is great to code a tool like that because if think that something is important, interesting or will do thing easy you can include it (like sine/cosine generation...)

When my PC died i decided to move to Mac Grin, now I need to port jas to OS-X, it was 99.99% C++ ANSI code, but i was in the middle of a big change when it died.

Actually, disassembly and reassembly Frontier was a way to test that my disassembler/assembler routines are 100% right, at early versions of jas when something crashed i didn't know if it was a bug my code, or in the assembler that were generating code with errors.

SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:42:06 pm »

Well lately I had a 10gb partition set up so I could install a 2nd OS other than windows on my desktop PC...

Firstly I said "okay, linux", and chose kubuntu (I really don't like gnome too much... KDE ain't much better but at least it wasn't gnome!). This was a big disaster as I couldn't setup my wifi, so no internet, no fun (trying to install packages over memory stick wasn't entertaining!). Next up was the normal ubuntu, which worked pretty well and got seti it up nice and properly, except for the fact that I had to manually log on till the network worked. Now, as I use that machine mostly remotely (vnc/remote dekstop etc), this meant that I had to walk to the machine, log on and then wait till it connected to the wifi. YAWN! Yeah, I could change the startup scripts etc (although I dread the thought), but they would probably break after a few package updates, so I didn't bother. Instead I thought of moving on to...

BSD! All this talk and praises over the years made me want to try it out, and this was a good chance! I downloaded and installed FreeBSD, to be greeted by only a console and nothing else, which meant I had to find drivers for the wi-fi, set up X (haven't done that in 10-12 years, fun times - NOT!), and a million other stuff I'd rather not. After this I remembered a more "user friendly" build of BSD called PC-BSD, which is a bit more modernized and automated, X set up off the box, etc. Unfortunately, this needs a 10gb partition at least, and my partition was 9.97 only! AAAAAARGH!!!

I considered other OSes: BeOS (dead), QNX (pretty much dead), MacOSX (commercial, won't install on this old desktop PC anyway)...

Which leaves me now with a 10gb blank on my disk, which I cannot claim yet, because the partitioning software I used say that the partition table is corrupt and only a complete repartition will save it. Yay!

Any ideas on what I should try next? Smiley

swapd0

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 09:54:39 pm »

Drivers... the biggest problem in a non-windows OS.

I don't know why the hardware developers give hw documetation for free, so "anyone" could write a driver for his fave OS.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 09:58:09 pm »

Drivers... the biggest problem in a non-windows OS.

I don't know why the hardware developers give hw documetation for free, so "anyone" could write a driver for his fave OS.

Either because they want to make more money, or they simply don't care

remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 10:20:10 pm »

Yeah the support was just a total deal killer unfortunately for BeOS.  I had a friend who was way into it, but I wasn't ready to accept the level of compromise that would have been necessary.

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 10:30:55 pm »

To be honest, QNX seemed much much much much more appealing than BeOS, and I really liked their architecture in the core. Unfortunately they went commercial...

overlord
Free Jaguar Project Admin

FJP Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 10:40:02 pm »

To be honest, QNX seemed much much much much more appealing than BeOS, and I really liked their architecture in the core. Unfortunately they went commercial...

I had no idea that QNX went commercial. I remember playing with it about 7 or 8 years ago and thought that one day it would make a good lightweight OS once it was mature.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length