Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 12:05:05 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Site Announcements
| |-+  Website Comments
| | |-+  FJP: "That Fun Atari Feel..."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: FJP: "That Fun Atari Feel..."  (Read 14733 times)
doctorclu

« on: August 08, 2009, 04:42:54 am »

Let me start by saying that Atariage and JS2 have a lot to offer for the Jaguar fan.  A lot.

Atariage, speaking positively, the manuals, the general introductions to the games, the high score club Smiley

Jaguar Sector 2, the awesome download section, the technical experience.  I can say that if it's not at JS2, it is not anywhere.

Love both those places, and the the people that run those places (Jay and Al) awesome guys.

But something was missing at both.  And both had the problem of ___________________ (insert problem here)   Don't fill in that blank, we are not here to talk about their problems.

INSTEAD, we are here to take what we liked about both, and bring that here.

Some people have said the Jaguar does not have that Atari feel?  Why is that?

I think the Free Jaguar Project is a way to say "What if the Jaguar had that Atari fun?"  Or better yet "What if the Jaguar felt like the excitement of a 2600, or a 5200?"

For starters, I liked on Atariage the EXCITEMENT of the 2600 community.  They bring those games out, they collect like crazy, they hack up the games and make other crazy themed rom images, and just have a blast with it.

For me The Free Jaguar Project is what the Jaguar forum would be on at Atariage if the Jaguar were treated like the other platforms.  Smiley  A place to talk, and have fun, be open about your favorite Atari console, and without ridicule.  Just fun.  Nice eh?

So what are you looking for here?  What is the Free Jaguar Project to you?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:54:43 pm by doctorclu » Logged
jmetal88

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:46:31 am »

I think I'm just looking for a more open community.  I'm kind of hoping we'll get some good free games with source released through collaborations here that would (or could) not have taken place in the other larger Jaguar communities on the internet.  I'm just interested in seeing what everyone's doing, and I like the idea of being able to follow discussions involving the usage of ROMs without seeing everyone involved being labeled pirates and threatened.

Jeez, that paints a bleak picture of the other forums.  I didn't really mean to do that, they're great places to go for their strong points, but also I like hanging around smaller groups more than larger ones.
doctorclu

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 02:01:40 pm »

I think you expressed quite well what is going on in a lot of people's minds.   And maybe to some degree, this place is a place to step back, take a look at the larger places, and say "You know, ok, what made me leave there"  Realize those places did have their strong points and that they are valueable resources, and then visit those places from time to time, and then come back home here.

I really wouldn't mind this place getting huge to be honest as long as everyone is pretty even keel with each other.  And from what I've seen so far, shouldn't be a problem.

We've had some great technical input already on some topics, which I was really surprised at.  Like the Bubsy disassembly thread.  Hopefully there will be more.

And thanks to Curt Vendel (and his dumpster diving) and the repackaging efforts of Jay Smith at Jaguar Sector 2, we have oodles of source code we can look at, and possibly have some fun with.  Smiley

So the question is, what would bring the Jaguar that fun "Atari feel"?  Would like to hear more.
Cyrano Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 03:41:56 pm »

I've PM'd Overlord to mail Kurt at Atari Age, and ask if the released sources can be hosted in a thread on this site's development section, so that people don't have to pay a subscription fee to access then, or pay for a DVD in the mail, to get what was essentially given to the public.

Hopefully news soon.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 03:43:33 pm »

I've PM'd Overlord to mail Kurt at Atari Age, and ask if the released sources can be hosted in a thread on this site's development section, so that people don't have to pay a subscription fee to access then, or pay for a DVD in the mail, to get what was essentially given to the public.

Hopefully news soon.

That's excellent initiative my good man! The more resources here, the better Smiley

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
doctorclu

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 05:08:15 pm »

Oh that would so rule!!  Yeh let us know how that goes.

Really in the case of the Atari sources Jay has done a awesome job getting together the material, making it understandable, packaging it into a good collectable form.  Still advisable (And I do want to pick up his source code collection in the format he has it in at some point.  Looks nice.)

But overall as Curt said, he wanted this material to get out there, and Jay has been one catalyst to make it happen.  Above all, Curt wants it to further the fun of the Jaguar.

Cheers to you Curt!!   Cheesy
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 11:38:39 pm »

I like JSII and all, but there's this chasm between myself and collectors, or maybe myself and developers, in that i'm okay with playing older games in emulators. I'm not gonna try and justify it or anything. It is what it is. I like playing, for example, Genesis games on my GP2x, wherever I want. You can't do that with real hardware.

I'm not really a Jaguar fan anymore, having long since sold off my meager collection(with the exception of Tempest 2000, the only decent game I ever acquired), but it's still a mild curiosity, and i've had good times chatting with many people in the community, so that's why I stick around. Hopefully this place can survive the gauntlet. Smiley

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 11:57:52 pm »

I like JSII and all, but there's this chasm between myself and collectors, or maybe myself and developers, in that i'm okay with playing older games in emulators. I'm not gonna try and justify it or anything. It is what it is. I like playing, for example, Genesis games on my GP2x, wherever I want. You can't do that with real hardware.

I'm not really a Jaguar fan anymore, having long since sold off my meager collection(with the exception of Tempest 2000, the only decent game I ever acquired), but it's still a mild curiosity, and i've had good times chatting with many people in the community, so that's why I stick around. Hopefully this place can survive the gauntlet. Smiley

Here's a small pearl of wisdom a guy I know once told:

Emulation - putting vintage hardware where it belongs <- the taskbar

Tongue

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 12:14:34 am »

I like playing, for example, Genesis games on my GP2x, wherever I want. You can't do that with real hardware.

Ah, a fellow GP2x'er.  I love that thing, flawed stick and all.  It's just an amazing little portable emulator open platform.   Smiley

Still anxiously awaiting the Pandora...   Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsclXxxjxVg

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 12:24:16 am »

I grabbed a used F200 from a guy I know on JSII a while back, and almost immediately replaced the existing...er...pad...with a GBA dpad. It's much better now, although it's not quite as sensitive as I would like. At least I can pull off some hadoukens in Street Fighter, though. Smiley

I had a preorder for Pandora at one point, but after the refund fiasco and all that, I decided to wait until the hardware hits and they can accept credit card orders. I just hope it hits soon, because it does look to be a great piece of kit.

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
jmetal88

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 12:46:26 am »

I had a GP2X at one point in time, but I actually sold it and recently went back to the good ol' GP32.  Grin

Unfortunately I bought a front-lit model and had the LEDs die on me about a week after I got the thing.  I can still play it outdoors or in a bright room, but I really would like to get the front light fixed.  I actually have it out and apart and am just waiting for a good time to order some LEDs to solder in, maybe after I get my car fixed.
GT Turbo

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 07:30:00 am »

Some people have said the Jaguar does not have that Atari feel?  Why is that?

I think the Free Jaguar Project is a way to say "What if the Jaguar had that Atari fun?"

Good question !!

I'm an Atari fan from the beginning and forever (I've got a PC only for emails and writing on some boards, hope when i got my CTPCI i can use a my Falcon for that too !!). When i have started to code on Jaguar, i was attacked for some differents goals, things i have never seen in Atari computers world. After one, two, three attacks you have enough. That's why Jagware was born, talking about Jaguar development freely, without any attacks.

That's why i'm happy this board was born, because Jagware is only a development board.

Stay cool, stay Atari !!

GT Smiley

overlord
Free Jaguar Project Admin

FJP Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 08:01:47 am »

I have not given my own reason yet. I think I should do so now.

The Free Jaguar Project website was born when I and a couple of friends were discussing the Jaguar community as a whole and how it differed from other communities. Like several of you have said, the Jaguar community has long been separate from the other Atari systems. The 2600, 5200, 7800, 8 bit and ST computers, and even the Lynx, have all had openness. There was an excitement and a genuine feeling of fun that simply has not existed in the Jaguar community for a long time. Homebrew games and hacks have been prevalent, but not on the Jaguar.

This is why I did not participate much in Jaguar discussions. I could not stand the constant fighting and the dictatorial presence of some of the developers who seemed to hold the community in an iron grip and attack everyone who did not share their opinions. I have seen fighting with the other systems, but nothing like with the Jaguar.

One day I decided I had enough of it. I thought to myself that I would do something to change the Jaguar community and no longer sit on the sidelines. I started participating in discussions on AtariAge, and talked with friends about starting this forum. One thing led to another, and here we all are! I am very happy that we now have a place to discuss the Jaguar without worrying about offending someone. This first week of the forum has gone very well, and I hope many more weeks pass the same way!
BobbyBobBob
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 07:32:10 pm »

I am very happy that we now have a place to discuss the Jaguar without worrying about offending someone. This first week of the forum has gone very well, and I hope many more weeks pass the same way!

Amen.

AtariAge is a great site but for obvious reasons the Jaguar department cannot live with the requirements of the modern Jaguar fan.

Some people elsewhere prefer to see things the same as if it were still 1999 not 2009. Thing move on, systems die out - move with the times or fade into obscurity! FJP is probably a frightening place for those oldtimers who want to keep their tight grip, but for most people it's a breath of fresh air.

I was just sick of the double-standards seen in the other places. Some people see this site as a den of thieves, I see it as a progressive step into tomorrow, not a throwback to the golden days of the Jaguar.

We can't keep living in the past. The future is bright!
doctorclu

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 03:41:02 am »

Agreed.  So how about this:

We've talked about how much fun and excitement the other Atari platforms have.  What is it about the other platforms that you like so much?

Relay some occurances on other forums that made you say "you know, they look like they are having a lot of fun there on XXXX Atari forum."  Smiley

You know I have found that overall it is the banter, the interrelations of people, generally a positive memory.

I remember looking on the E.T. opening screen on the 2600 and going wow and just looking at that for hours.  Smiley   I remember seeing commercials for the Atari.   Seeing Nukey Shaw disassemble 2600 games and tweak them and reassemble.. man I said.. I want to do that for the Jag!

You know what the Jaguar can now do that no other Atari system can?  Have Jaguar images as publications.  Smiley   You know that would be cool, with pictures, articles, maybe even little pack in games.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length