Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2019, 06:30:45 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar ROMs
| | |-+  Bubsy: Exploring with Hex Editor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Bubsy: Exploring with Hex Editor  (Read 41960 times)
doctorclu

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2009, 03:30:25 pm »

Wow simply amazing.  I have not had a chance to look at this but thank you!

Is there a non-ST solution that would be good for viewing the source code?

I do eventually want to make some changes to Bubsy and recompile this into a new rom for people to play.

I think Accolade did a good job on this game.  We've had 15 years to playtest it and make revisions.  Wink
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2009, 03:32:45 pm »

Is there a non-ST solution that would be good for viewing the source code?

Source code files are plain text Smiley

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
doctorclu

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2009, 04:56:07 pm »

Sweet. 

So what can be used to recompile all this?

I take it all this will have to back through Pro Pack and then how is it made back into a rom?
doctorclu

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2009, 09:21:49 pm »

Ok, not 100% this is right, but thanks to the files GGN unpacked, one was the picture from the water levels.  Here is what it looks like.  I never figured out till not that the ship in the background is probably Captain Nemo's sub.   Just thought it was some Viking ship.

Neat picture and good to see it all at once finally.
jmetal88

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2009, 11:33:42 pm »

Ok, not 100% this is right, but thanks to the files GGN unpacked, one was the picture from the water levels.  Here is what it looks like.  I never figured out till not that the ship in the background is probably Captain Nemo's sub.   Just thought it was some Viking ship.

Neat picture and good to see it all at once finally.

Hmm...  Nah, looks like it has sails to me.
doctorclu

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2009, 12:17:15 am »

Well, Captain Nemo's ship in that era before subs existed in mainstream did have a mast I believe.

(After looking at google image search... ok.. maybe not. )
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:19:56 am by doctorclu » Logged
doctorclu

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2009, 07:35:03 pm »

Ok here's another challenge, for a voice file, like the one attached (I believe it is a voice file) what kind of program would be used to create it, and play it?

It's not a wav file, so what did they use for voice files and recordings?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:42:00 pm by doctorclu » Logged
ggn

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »

That was an easy one Wink

Quite simply, they are raw samples, i.e. just the data and no header. Most editors have an "import" function, where you specify some parameters about the sample yourself, so you have to guess some settings.

I used wavosaur's import function and specified 16 bits, signed sample of 11025hz. Now it's obviously wrong since the voices are too high pitched, but I don't have enough courage atm to try different values, this is just a proof of concept here!

Zerosquare

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2009, 09:59:21 pm »

They're 8 bit signed, mono, 16 kHz (or so) raw sound files.

Besides using a sound editor like ggn said, you can also use a command-line utility such as SoX to do batch-conversion.

The command line for SoX in this case is :
sox --bits 8 --channels 1 --encoding signed-integer --rate 16000 --type raw input_file output_file.wav
doctorclu

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2009, 12:46:31 am »

I used wavosaur's import function and specified 16 bits, signed sample of 11025hz. Now it's obviously wrong since the voices are too high pitched, but I don't have enough courage atm to try different values, this is just a proof of concept here!

You know I think this improved Bubsy's voice.  Smiley

Hey Zerosquare, good job, I think I will give this a try and see if I can do this also.  Have two other voice samples to convert.   Be interesting to make Bubsy say other things like "What the hell man?!?"  but honestly nothing is more funny than level 15 of the original Bubsy and him saying "Are you still there?"  Smiley

Figure if we wanted to, we could make Bubsy say 15 sayings instead of 5, and maybe use some Yakko sayings (since it was the same voice actor)
doctorclu

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2009, 01:15:25 am »

So far the SoX executable on the Mac side is not working.  Apparently I need to load some library support for it.  Will look more into this.
doctorclu

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2009, 01:25:04 pm »

Ok, to catch everyone up, here is the source that we have so far for Bubsy, and enclosed is a excel spreadsheet saying what is what as best we have figured out so far.
doctorclu

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2009, 07:15:19 pm »

My friend KevinCal on Atariage let me know this was up on Ebay at the moment...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-Jaguar-BUBSY-FRACTURED-FAIRY-TALES-LEVEL-Artwork_W0QQitemZ190338333335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c510c7a97&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Interesting.  A xerox copy of the level maps for the bubsy water levels.  (My least favorite of the Bubsy game BTW).  Currently asking the guy holding the auction if he has other artwork.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length