Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2019, 01:58:52 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar ROMs
| | |-+  Bubsy: Exploring with Hex Editor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Bubsy: Exploring with Hex Editor  (Read 45305 times)
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 07:34:09 am »

I can't tell, are those the proper palettes there?

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
doctorclu

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 10:36:26 am »

Hardly.  The graphics converter is not looking at some of the files completely right for some reason, not really sure why.  Oh well, good for the moment.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 12:26:36 pm »

Then it's time to put the good ol' calculator down and make a few assumptions Smiley.

The first is to determine the image resolution. I guess you have figured that out since the images seem ok.
Second is to determine the image bit depth. Again, I guess that this is already figured out.

Then you should multiply widthxheightxcol depth (in bits). Divide that by 8 and it will give you the total amount of bytes needed by the pic itself.

Take the number of palette indices (2? 4? 16? 256?) and multiply that by 2. This will give you the number of bytes needed for the palette.

Add these 2 numbers and you'll have the number of bytes needed for the picture.

Now, compare this number with the file's size in bytes. Is it the same? Then the palette is there but the program is reading it wrong (maybe scrabled RGB values).

Is it not the same? Then maybe the image or the palette is at a different offset than the pic displayer perceives.

Anyway, some gereral thoughts here, hope they help!

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
Zerosquare

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 09:59:41 pm »

I wrote a quick converter for Bubsy pictures, taking the palette into account.
See this post.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:02 pm »

I wrote a quick converter for Bubsy pictures, taking the palette into account.
See this post.

Cool stuff!

doctorclu

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 11:46:54 pm »

I cannot tell you how cool this is!  Smiley  Thank you!

So why does this need a pallette file?   Not sure what is accomplished by having an image file at one location, and a seperate file for denoting what color goes where.  I mean why did they do it this way?

(posting this on here and FreeJag)
Zerosquare

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 12:04:47 am »

You're welcome Wink

If your question was : "why did they use a palette instead of a straight RGB or CRY bitmap", the answer is simple : limited space in the cartridge. Palettized 8-bit pictures use one byte per pixel instead of two.

If you meant : "why did they use two separate files for the picture and the palette", I would guess that's because several pictures share the same palette.
doctorclu

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 01:08:15 am »

That is my new backdrop picture.  Smiley

I guess I want to know how to duplicate the process.  If I wanted to make a backdrop picture for a game, would I have to use this method, or if I didn't mind the size, and want to work with 4 mb verses 2 mb like they did here, could I just use a more conventional jpg to cry or rgb image conversion and just use it straight up?

Zerosquare

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 04:07:26 pm »

Depends on the game. You have to :

- locate the graphics data
- extract it from the ROM file
- decompress it if it's been compressed
- figure out if it's 8-bit palettized, CRY, 16-bit RGB or 24-bit RGB
- guess the dimensions of the picture

The program I wrote will only work with 8-bit palettized pictures, and with files that have already been extracted and decompressed.
doctorclu

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 08:32:41 am »

Zerosquare and all, so far so good.  First off, I'm posting a few more of the pictures on the Bubsy fan blog I have...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=234

But here we have some background files made possible by Zerosquare's program from the Ali level, and the title picture which I believe you can see if you hit options at the very start.

Shown here is a picture from the global.pp file which had a bunch of game icons in it.  This one is read by the image converter, also picked up off JagWare.  This one shows two unique shirts in the icon store that I have not seen used in the game.  A black shirt (which was used in the first Bubsy game on the SNES and Genesis) and a 9 lives shirt !!  Never seen that used in any Bubsy game.

I've attached the updated spreadsheet of what file I have found to be what.  There are still some files (like the water level background) I have not been able to uncompress.  If anyone would like to take a look at these or try to help figure out the mystery of some of these other files, any help will naturally be appreciated.

And as for the voice files, or the compiler that would be used to open the source file when we find it, will also be appreciated.

In the meantime, enjoy!!
doctorclu

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 04:47:59 am »

--THIS IS AN OFFICIAL REQUEST FOR HELP--

Update so far, all this started by me messing with a hex editor, and I found what looked like a directory of files in the Bubsy rom image.  I got a tip from an anonymous person on the sector beginnings and endings of files.  GGN had a lot to add using mrip260.zip to break down Bubsy rom into 116 RNC (Pro Pack archive) files. 

After running Pro Pack on the RNC files, 104 out of 116 unpacked successfully.

We are 12 files from uncompressed source here.    Smiley

At this point, I need some help or pointers / suggestions on what can be done to help these last 12 files trigger to uncompress with Pro Pack.  Right now it is seeing them as an unreadable file, which to me would suggest the header on these RNC files is somehow not right.

I have studied the good files prior to uncompression, and I noticed in about half the cases a space was missing after the initial "RNC".   Trying to add that however didn't work in those cases.

I've added RNC00045.rnc, which was a file that DID uncompress successfully for you to practice with.  I used the command "pp u s rnc00045.rnc" and that worked.  The files were either ST (S) or data (D) formats.  Up till RNC00085.RNC the files were basically ST compressed files.  After that, mostly data files.

I believe 00082 and 00089 should be mod files.  We have the mod files so we're good there.

00086-000088 might actually be the game code!!

What would be a good start would be 00097, which should be the backdrop picture for the water levels on Bubsy.  That would be a file, is we could get to unpack, would be a neat "oooww ahhh" moment.   The original name of this would be "Water.pic" and since it is the last background picture to be found in Bubsy, BSET3.RGB should be the pallet file to use with Zerosquare's 8bit to bmp converter when you get that uncompressed.

But yeh, TWELVE FILES, so close!!   Any help to get these files to unpack would be appreciated as I am stuck.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2009, 07:08:10 am »

Doc, did you ever try ggn's suggestion to hex edit the rom into unpacking the jag files you want from Virtual Jaguar?

doctorclu

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009, 07:32:29 am »

GGN gave a great suggestion that I will admit, has my mind doing flipflops reading through it all.

Yes I can see how that would work in theory.  Very solid theory.  I could probably get there in about half a year to a year of steady trying, or I could ask people that have a bit more experience at this to take a look at this if they could be so kind.

The Pro Pack idea has worked wonders, and really I think it is just a matter of a header being corrupt.  Just wonder what is keeping Pro Pack from unpacking those 12 files.

To better understand this, I have taken a few minutes to see how other games would unpack.  Raiden was one I got an idea might have used the same compression after talking to Trev here on how he worked on the mod player.  So I ran the mRIP and it found 98 files.  4 didn't unpack this time.   Currently trying to work out THAT directory to find out what those files were, but apparently 00000 and 00001 have a tendancy to fail.  In this case 00079 and 00080 also didn't unpack.  So have to find out more on this.

In short, I am amazed in what Pro Pack will unpack as it is from a rom image, just scratching my head on why a handful don't.  I figure in the ripping process maybe something didn't get split at the right place, or some header was left out.
doctorclu

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2009, 08:18:01 am »

The producer of the Jaguar Bubsy game just showed up on Atariage!!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/85838-bubsy-your-opinions/page__view__findpost__p__1829209

Come check it out and ask questions!
ggn

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2009, 03:00:04 pm »

Hi all (end especially Doc Wink)

I had a run through the files in New Depack on ST, and most depacked! I'm not sure that all of them are ok, but most seem fine. 0086 contains the code as you assumed, and I even ran it through Easyrider (again on ST), and it produced a source file! Also, I included the boot code which is located at $802000 and contains the RNC code as well as the file system.

One final note is that if we are to recreate a Bubsy rom, we have to extract all the files present on the file system. The RNC files are not a necessity for me, as they might as well be flukes (I.E. the rip program did some false positives while detecting).

Anyway, that's for another time - enjoy Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length