Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2019, 02:10:36 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar ROMs
| | |-+  Bubsy: Exploring with Hex Editor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Bubsy: Exploring with Hex Editor  (Read 45309 times)
Mr Morden

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 09:41:01 am »

Windows Calculator does hex<->dec<->octal<->binary conversion

Just type in the number in one base, and hit the button to convert it to the other.

Under "view" you need to be in "scientific mode"

SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 01:05:25 pm »

- help with the hex conversion

Done! (attached)

-Help with identifying the file in the directory in the excel spreadheet attached to RNC file

I'll take a look...

-Help finding applications to open these files

Ditto...

Question I have to wonder, what type of computer was this developed on?  (A ST, PC, Amiga... probably not Amiga).  They had to work the graphics, and I believe that there is a program to convert graphics to work on the Jaguar?  What app would that be?

Well, whatever system they used, if they exported the gfx into a jaguar native format, you won't find an app to open them easily (unless there is one already Smiley)

Good luck in whatever you try on this, and if you don't yield results, have fun trying.

My hope, worse caase scenario... extract the maps.  Many have asked for those.  Cheesy

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
ggn

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 05:59:50 pm »

I had an idea yesterday.... why not use the game's RNC unpacker to process each file separately and then dump it to disk? So I sent the code to the ST and had a go, only to discover that the depacker is ported to the GPU!

Looking through the code I have another idea, I'll see if it's feasible then write here about it..
ggn

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 06:43:45 pm »

Yep, I just had a quick play with it and I think it's going to work Wink

Time to get busy then Smiley

Open up the bubsy rom file with a hex editor, and go to offset $205e. You should see the following string there: 41 FA 00 22 61 30 and so on.

Now, change that to: 41 F9 00 80 2A 02 3E B9 00 80 20 94 4A FC (don't worry yourself about the values in bold, I'll get to that!) and save the file. Now, load the rom and run it in Virtual Jaguar, the screen will stay black. Give it a few seconds, then press esc and exit the emulator. Finally, go open the file called "memdump.bin" in VJ's directory and go to offset $4000. If you see values <> zero then you most probably succeeded in unpacking ali.bad Smiley

So, what happened there, and what's the value in bold about?

Simply, I changed the startup code to unpack a file and then crash immediately (the opcode $4afc is ILLEGAL in 68000 and issues a stop Smiley). When Virtual Jaguar exits, it saves a dump of the physical memory, which is of course almost empty except our file in $4000.

So, how can we use this to our advantage? Well, see the values in bold? These actually form of a memory address. This is the address that the file parser uses as start. I simply pointed it to the first file which is at address $802A02 (which is $2a02 in the rom file and is the first filename!). So, finding the offset in the rom file of the file one wants to depack and add $800000 to it and changing the rom to that value, makes VJ depack the file.

Well, this should happen in theory, I can't say I tested it too much (not much free time!). So if some kind soul would help this, I'd be obliged (nudge nudge wink wink say no more say no more!)

P.S. Oh! Before I forget, please make sure that bubsy runs on VJ before you try this out! I'm using the jag bios, as well as having the DSP enabled!

Hope this helps!
doctorclu

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 10:37:42 pm »

Not a bad trick GGN.. Might have to make use of that here in a bit.

Well, thanks to a lot of your input, I was able to figure out the hex to dec (thank you Spider Jerusalem) and was able to compare the size of the directory our anonymous person contributed to what the RNC files were.   I now know without much doubt what like 90% of those files are based on the byte sizes.

Some of the files that I expanded using the RNC unpacker were mod files.  That was easy.  Now trying to find a graphics program that will read these images.

I'm talking to the producer of the Bubsy game, Faran, who will get back to me in a few days to see what can be found out.  Cool hearing from Faran.  Cheesy

So knowing what the name of the files were and the byte size, I'll try to get the files back to their original file name.

And yeh, after that, just figure out what programs can work with them in their native states.

I'm thinking these graphical files were what the pictures were after being converted into the Jaguar picture format.

Makes me wonder if I can take these graphical files and just load them on the Jaguar like GGN was saying.  Hmmm.  Or if there is a way to unconvert Jaguar graphics images?
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 10:52:49 pm »

Makes me wonder if I can take these graphical files and just load them on the Jaguar like GGN was saying.  Hmmm.  Or if there is a way to unconvert Jaguar graphics images?

Of course there is. It's like converting paletted formats from the ST (like Degas or Neochrome) to chunky modes (i.e. 24-bit). A paletted bitmap always has the palette used and then each pixel is in fact an index to the palette. So, if we figure out where's the palette and the indices, we can use a small look up routine to convert the indices to 24-bit col (or any depth for that matter).

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
doctorclu

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 01:42:00 am »

Wanna see something cool?

First off, here is the update of my spreadsheet of file directory to RNC unpacked files.

Next, someone suggested that the images could be in a raw format.  So I gave the "Alice.pic" and so forth files the extension of .raw and low and behold I got at least a greyscale image.  It's a start.  Here are the background images for Ali Baba, Alice, and Hansel. 

The Water level pic has not unpacked yet, and the Jack pic did not turn out.  But tells me something at least.

Again, if anyone wants to tinker with these unpacked files, PM me and let me know.  About 7.8 meg unpacked.  Amazing that all that fit into a 2 mb image.
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 02:15:37 am »

I gotta hand it to you doc - you've got some mad love for Bubsy   Smiley

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
doctorclu

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 02:17:25 am »

Here is another picture.  So far I've been fairly lucky since this is raw, and I'll admit I use the "Guess" option to get the dimensions of the picture.

Wish I knew a sure fire way to know what the resolution would be somehow, or figure out how to pull out the color of the pictures.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:35:00 am by doctorclu » Logged
doctorclu

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 02:29:01 am »

I gotta hand it to you doc - you've got some mad love for Bubsy   Smiley

I've had some GREAT pointers and suggestions by people that have got us this far.  And the RNC fact is a very interesting one that makes me wonder how many other Jaguar games use it?

Oh lookee here, Raiden...
... NuBOOTLOGO.JHD.BOOTLOGO.JSP.BOOTLOGO.CPL.RAIDEN.TXT.RAIDEN.DTA..H...M.....4..JK. .|....<..f.J.$HJ.f.J.g.f...g.XFJ.f.`. v`...p...RNC.f./(..a.

And there might be a few other games out there that use this.  As we have seen with Bubsy so far, get that program to recognize programs within the image, unpack the RNC files, there are you.  I know I am amazed by all this.

As for Bubsy, I've played it so long I wanted to learn more about it by taking it apart.  The background shots alone were worth it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:36:15 am by doctorclu » Logged
doctorclu

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 04:01:59 am »

Looks like the Removers have a Jaguar Image Converter that handles the .RGB and .CRY formats.

http://removers.free.fr/softs/en/download.php

I found out more about the CRY format, which one of the files has in the Bubsy file directory...

Cyan Red intensitY.
A colour system set up by Atari for the Jaguar.

256 Colours at 256 intensities, smooth gouraud shading, not so smooth colour graduations.

Starcat has the Jaguar Dev Docs for download here:
http://www.atari-jaguar64.de/english/start.html
in the coding corner download section
Mr Morden

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 05:42:09 am »

... NuBOOTLOGO.JHD.BOOTLOGO.JSP.BOOTLOGO.CPL.RAIDEN.TXT.RAIDEN.DTA..H...M.....4..JK. .|....<..f.J.$HJ.f.J.g.f...g.XFJ.f.`. v`...p...RNC.f./(..a.

Ahh Nu - how we love you.

(Nu = $4e75 = RTS)   (Nq = $4e71 = NOP)

hehe Smiley

doctorclu

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 05:52:55 am »

What is "NU" all about?
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 06:24:38 am »

What is "NU" all about?

That's the ASCII equivalent of hex $4e75. 

$4e = 78 dec = ASCII 'N'
$75 = 117 dec = ASCII 'u'

http://www.asciitable.com/

Wink

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
doctorclu

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 02:07:43 am »

Well, we are making progress!!!   Thanks to Zerosquare on the Jagware site, there is the JagViewer program that made viewing it MOSTLY right much easier.

Here is where that is discussed...
http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showtopic=259&view=findpost&p=11473

And here are some pictures of what we had.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length