Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2019, 07:01:34 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar Development
| | |-+  Jaguar Development Docs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Jaguar Development Docs  (Read 14931 times)
Sauron

The Dark Lord

« on: August 07, 2009, 01:53:17 am »

Anyone know where I can find these? I'm almost tempted to try my hand at the Jag again after a decade-long layoff...
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:03:51 am »

Wait, you've seen the 'jag community' right?

Cheesy

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
Sauron

The Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 03:23:21 am »

Unfortunately, yes, but there's enough nice guys hanging around here for me to hang my hat as well. Smiley
jmetal88

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:17:37 am »

Haha, yeah, conversations at JSII sometimes get pretty... 'opinionated' I guess would be the nice way to put it.

I get along with most of the people there though, and I tend to just ignore people when they get too intense.

Anyway, you can get some of the dev tools and docs from this page:

http://www.hillsoftware.com/downloads/index.html

I don't know enough about programming to do anything with them, but the least I can do is point you over to them so hopefully there'll be another new Jag game or demo to play with sometime soon.  Smiley
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 12:19:47 pm »

That's a neat site there! Thanks for sharing Smiley

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Starcat has gathered most of the docs in his site and was offering them for download. I still have them over here, so if some kind soul wants to donate some 70mb web space, I can sure upload them.

(Overlord, can we host them on atari.org?)

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
overlord
Free Jaguar Project Admin

FJP Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 12:28:17 pm »

Spider, we'll have to ask the host. I certainly wouldn't mind doing it, though.
doctorclu

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 10:52:37 pm »

That would be sweet!!!

Ok here we go..  This is Lars Hanning's blog, and it is the dev manual, amoungst other things.
http://blog.eerievale.com/?page_id=268&lay=game

And the direct link to the manual itself..
http://blog.eerievale.com/download.php?id=3

It was interesting reading the manual.  Almost like the Jaguar was intended to be a computer system with all the talk of mouse controls and ways of interfacing.  That was the one thing I remember about it.

SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 10:55:26 pm »

That would be sweet!!!

Ok here we go..  This is Lars Hanning's blog, and it is the dev manual, amoungst other things.
http://blog.eerievale.com/?page_id=268&lay=game

And the direct link to the manual itself..
http://blog.eerievale.com/download.php?id=3

It was interesting reading the manual.  Almost like the Jaguar was intended to be a computer system with all the talk of mouse controls and ways of interfacing.  That was the one thing I remember about it.

Thanks doc, you're a lifesaver Smiley

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
Sauron

The Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 03:11:21 am »

It's no secret that Atari had high hopes for the Jaguar, and thus wanted to do much more with that architecture than just a game console. They pushed to have it used in other devices, like arcades (yup, the Co-Jag), PC video cards, and they were also hoping to build their own computer around that chipset. It's not surprising in the least that they already had information on how to use other input devices with it, like mice and keyboards.
doctorclu

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 12:17:37 pm »

Kinda makes you wonder if they have released a Jaguar Computer line what it would have been like?   You kinda like a souped up Atari 800.  I say that because the 800 had the 6502 and then the antic and pokey.  Here we have the 68000 and the Tom and Jerry.

When I had the Rapier and Felix development systems, that was one thing that came to mind as they sat in those PC cases... man these look like computers.  If you did not know they were development systems, you would think "It's a 286 computer."  Smiley

I believe I liked the Felix the most with the many daughter boards.  I couldn't at the time get the thing to do much, so I opted to trade for something more useful, and my space at the time was limited.  But at some point I might need to track someone down that needs a bit of cash and pick it back up again.  Wink

And yeh, the Jaguar as a computer, I just think that would be the bomb.
GroovyBee

Busy bee!

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 01:15:43 am »

Well I've gone and done it now! After a change of heart I've downloaded the 75MB tech docs for the Jag. I'm not saying anything will come of it but you never know.

I couldn't find the hardware documents. Specifically I'm looking for cart pinouts, machine schematics and the like. Any good links for those?

What about links for making carts etc?

Thanks for any help.
Zerosquare

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 01:47:13 am »

Matthias Domin's website has a lot of info on these : http://mdgames.de/jag_eng.htm
Cyrano Jones

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 02:40:33 am »

Well I've gone and done it now! After a change of heart I've downloaded the 75MB tech docs for the Jag. I'm not saying anything will come of it but you never know.

Welcome aboard - If you need some "starting code" I've released the Jetpac source code on here, and I'm sure reboot will release some of the Project One code at somepoint as well.
GroovyBee

Busy bee!

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 12:10:08 pm »

Thanks for the link and the welcome. I'm not into magnum opus projects or 3D in particular so don't expect anything along those lines. Its also a long time since I did any serious 68000 coding.

Has BJL been upgraded to a USB version yet?
Mr Morden

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 01:45:27 pm »

Thanks for the link and the welcome. I'm not into magnum opus projects or 3D in particular so don't expect anything along those lines. Its also a long time since I did any serious 68000 coding.

You don't need either to make a great, fun game. In fact, throughout history, its my opinion that most of the utterly un-fun games were in 3D. Look at the Saturn, nearly all the 2D games are great, and the vast majority of the 3D ones suck and only use 3D because "look, it's in 3D".

If you need some help with 68000 just shout out here, I'm sure someone will assist.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length