Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 16, 2019, 10:12:49 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar ROMs
| | |-+  Brutal Sports Football
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Brutal Sports Football  (Read 6643 times)
overlord
Free Jaguar Project Admin

FJP Administrator

« on: August 06, 2009, 09:43:57 am »

Just wanted to let everyone know. I haven't been able to find a fixed ROM for Brutal Sports Football, so I took it upon myself to find out how to get it to run via emulation. Here's how you do it for those who don't already know:

1. Download and install frhed: http://www.kibria.de/frhed.html
2. Open your Brutal Sports Football ROM file in frhed.
3. Edit out the first 512 bytes of the file. This should be pretty easy to do as all of the segments are "00". You'll also know as when you are selecting it you will see at the bottom how much as been selected.
4. Save the edited file. Make sure you include the ".ROM" designator.
5. Open the ROM in Project Tempest or Virtual Jaguar and play away!
BobbyBobBob
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:47:57 am »

So those 512 bytes are a header of some kind? What made the rom file with that header in the first place?

Edit: [ all of the segments are "00" ] - oh, not much of a header Smiley So, erm, whatever Smiley
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 03:20:40 pm »

I have done it in another way. I was too bored to fiddle with a hex editor, so I did it with the program I use most of the day - Total Commander.

I selected the file, told it to split it in 512 byte segments, then change the 1st produced file with the universal loader, and then combine the files back intro a .rom file - TC will whine about a CRC error, but it's ok because we forced it to.

And there you have it, a rom file ready for anything Smiley

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
doctorclu

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 05:24:51 am »

Holy crap!  THAT is supposed to be easier than just whacking off the first 512 sectors in a hexeditor?
sergi

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:15:26 am »

Brutal Sports Football just has not needed 2000 bytes of 00 in start - you should remive them and rom will be working.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 12:14:24 pm »

Holy crap!  THAT is supposed to be easier than just whacking off the first 512 sectors in a hexeditor?

If you're TC savvy, then yes Wink

And honestly, don't knock it off till you try it! I really don't like using too many programs when I can do all tasks with one using a single interface/enviroment. Until I learn how to use a particular hex editor (how do I inject a binary on it), create shortcuts, etc, I'd have converted the entire jag catalog with TC Wink

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
doctorclu

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 11:09:23 pm »

Did you say TC allows you to inject binaries?  So you can add characters without overwriting anything else?
BobbyBobBob
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:14:10 pm »

I smell sort Bubsy tinkering about to take palce Smiley
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:16:03 pm »

Did you say TC allows you to inject binaries?  So you can add characters without overwriting anything else?

Well, not per se... When you use TC file split, it does what you pretty much expect: cut a file down into small chunks. I simply enter the size of the universal loader rom as split size, then go and copy the loader in place of the first chunk. I then instruct TC to join back the file, so you get your patched rom back.

What do you have in mind of doing?

doctorclu

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 11:42:54 pm »

What do you have in mind of doing?

Thought you'd never ask, but to not derail a thread on Brutal Sports, we'll talk about that here...
http://freejag.atari.org/forum/index.php?topic=40.0

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length