Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2019, 06:26:59 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar Development
| | |-+  Open Source Ports
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Open Source Ports  (Read 8578 times)
The Ham

« on: August 04, 2009, 11:10:53 pm »

Would the Jag have enough power to handle some of the open source ports out there. I'm thinking on similar lines to the Dreamcast. I know the Dreamcast has an easier architecture to develop with.
    What would also be nice is if we could use the JadDOOM source to allow it to run from the CD unit we could possibly run some of the many DOOM mods out there. A setup similar to this http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106657 would be cool. Or maybe even a conversion of STRIFE.
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:37:48 pm »

I always thought it would be cool if the Jag could run some of the alternate Doom WADs and stuff out there.  Maybe someday... 

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
doctorclu

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:20:34 pm »

Well, the Doom source was not initially compilable since the ID C compiler was lost that they made for the Jaguar.

Now what is interesting is how the ever cool Matthias was making some form of Doom possible... hhmm see if I can find that youtube link at some point.  Looked like Doom but with different monsters.
doctorclu

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 02:29:46 pm »

Wasn't able to find it.

I would be interested to find out what it takes to port ST games  (the video and controller routines) and Amiga games, since those are mostly 68K platforms.

I am always fascinated by the Elite II Frontier project....
http://www.freewebs.com/swapd0/

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91535&hl=elite+ii

Apparently ST games when disassembled and reassembled in Jaguar format have a lot of similarities.   Anyway, not really a "open source" topic, so I'll start this thread here...
http://freejag.atari.org/forum/index.php?topic=46.0

Question is, where is a good place to find 68K source code?
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:33:19 pm »

Just an aside...Wouldn't Amiga ports take more work since the Amiga has custom chips?

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:53:58 pm »

Just an aside...Wouldn't Amiga ports take more work since the Amiga has custom chips?

And how would one go about emulate hardware sprites and raster splits of the amiga easily?

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 11:57:21 pm »

You've got me there. I'm no coder.  Smiley

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
GT Turbo

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 08:17:54 am »

Like SpiderJerusalem, you must know the Jag is more powerfull than an Amiga Smiley Porting some Amigas game can be possible. The only problem for some of them, they are coyrighted.

GT
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 08:56:57 am »

I just meant that compensating for custom chips is probably more difficult than emulating the generic 68k processor is all. At least, it seems that way.

swapd0

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 06:15:25 pm »

I coded for Atari ST a long time ago, but still remeber a lot. This means that if i find something like this:

Code:
    movem.l l00235,d0-d7
    movem.l d0-7,$ffff8240.w

Hey, 8240.w is the hardware palette so in l00235 there must be a color palette, but in Amiga i have no clue were it is.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 08:20:01 pm »

I coded for Atari ST a long time ago, but still remeber a lot. This means that if i find something like this:

Code:
    movem.l l00235,d0-d7
    movem.l d0-7,$ffff8240.w

Hey, 8240.w is the hardware palette so in l00235 there must be a color palette, but in Amiga i have no clue were it is.

Well, you just need an amiga hw regs document then Wink

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
Zerosquare

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 09:52:53 pm »

And how would one go about emulate hardware sprites and raster splits of the amiga easily?
Well, the Jaguar has a sprite engine which is more powerful than the Amiga chipset. And raster splits are no longer necessary with it Wink

I'm not saying porting would be dead easy, but it probably wouldn't be very hard either.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 10:10:47 pm »

Well, the Jaguar has a sprite engine which is more powerful than the Amiga chipset. And raster splits are no longer necessary with it Wink

I'm not saying porting would be dead easy, but it probably wouldn't be very hard either.

Yep, different formats though. Which means it won't be such a 1:1 port then.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length