Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2019, 06:27:10 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar ROMs
| | |-+  Loading ROMS and other stuff.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Loading ROMS and other stuff.  (Read 14605 times)
will2097

« on: August 03, 2009, 09:41:03 am »

Is there a 'idiots guide' appropriate for me, out there on the web, that helps me understand how to get ROMS running on Jaguar?

I use Protector SE (it sit's there in wait mode), I then connect the cable and run the command: Lo_inp.exe -n -8 -b 820000 rom.j64

The uploading counter goes up to 100%, the load screen on the TV changes colour (like an old 8bit loading screen) but then nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Any help appreciated,

Will
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:48:47 am »

Is there a 'idiots guide' appropriate for me, out there on the web, that helps me understand how to get ROMS running on Jaguar?

I use Protector SE (it sit's there in wait mode), I then connect the cable and run the command: Lo_inp.exe -n -8 -b 820000 rom.j64

The uploading counter goes up to 100%, the load screen on the TV changes colour (like an old 8bit loading screen) but then nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Any help appreciated,

Will

You didn't tell us what system are you using to upload to the jaguar? Is it BJL?

Off the top of my head, the following hardware/methods exist:

BJL
Alpine board
Flashcart (correct me on this one folks!)
Skunkboard
Snasm 2 board

Without knowing anything though, I noticed an error in your parameters. 820000 should be 802000! Try that and see if it fixes your problem!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:51:48 am by SpiderJerusalem » Logged

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
will2097

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:00:41 am »

i use BJL  Smiley
Mr Morden

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:40:50 pm »

BJL can only upload into Jaguar RAM address space, so you can't upload a Jaguar ROM image using this method.

will2097

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 02:15:17 pm »

ahhhhhhhhhh. The fog clears. Thank you. Time to save my pennies and get an Alpine Board.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 03:43:24 pm »

ahhhhhhhhhh. The fog clears. Thank you. Time to save my pennies and get an Alpine Board.

Also, keep an eye on ebay for a skunkboard - you won't regret it Smiley

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »

Yes, the Skunkboard is by far the preferred method.  Unfortunately there is no current production of them though.   Sad

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
will2097

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:34:22 pm »

I noticed that. Alpine boards are still available to buy mind you. Pricey, but available. I didn't think the Skunkboards would allow me to run cart images?
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 10:43:31 pm »

I noticed that. Alpine boards are still available to buy mind you. Pricey, but available. I didn't think the Skunkboards would allow me to run cart images?

Think again Wink

kj4860

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 08:11:00 am »

specific images are blocked by the skunkboard bios

i wouldn't know which ones  Cheesy
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »

specific images are blocked by the skunkboard bios

i wouldn't know which ones  Cheesy

I could take a guess, but that's ok because the likely candidates are out of scope for any discussions of that nature at FJP anyway.   Wink

I'm very pleased with the Skunks ability to run back catalog stuff.  It's a great way for folks to try out lots of Jag goodness.   More exposure to more folks can only be good for the Jag.  Such things have proven a boon in many other retro communities.  It's all about opening doors, not slamming them shut.   Smiley

I just wish there were enough Skunkboards to go around for all the folks who want one.

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
overlord
Free Jaguar Project Admin

FJP Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 10:08:47 pm »

I agree with remowilliams, the Skunkboard is great but it would be nice if there were more to go around. I still need one myself.
BobbyBobBob
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:54 pm »

So how difficult would it be to clone an existing flash cart device such as the Atari ones? Surely not that bad these days? There's a lot of stuff on a skunk board that just isn't needed.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:52:10 pm »

So how difficult would it be to clone an existing flash cart device such as the Atari ones? Surely not that bad these days? There's a lot of stuff on a skunk board that just isn't needed.

Well, seeing that a standard Atari Jag cart is pretty much a pcb with the PROM soldered in, one would simply need some pcbs off a cheap factory (or simply desolder the PROMS from an existing jag cart), some sockets, some eeproms and a programmer.

I could be tragically wrong here, but that's my initial train of thought...

BobbyBobBob
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:55:52 pm »

So if you had the ability to burn eproms that would be simple. But what about when you don't have that luxury? I know nothing about flash carts really, but what would be the most cost effective way of interfacing to a PC? I imagine USB comes with a lot of hassle & overheads... all purely speculation though.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length