Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2019, 07:27:12 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar Emulators
| | |-+  DioJag - Macintosh
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: DioJag - Macintosh  (Read 21960 times)
doctorclu

« on: August 02, 2009, 07:12:32 pm »

I tried out the DioJag, which is the T2K port to the Macintosh. 

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=41691

It played Tempest 2K great. 

I tried Bubsy, tried Doom, tried a few others, nothing.  Raiden came up, but crashed shortly after the game was started.  That's all I tried so far.

The game will remember where the Tempest 2K image is.  If you want it to forget, find the following file, and once opened, delete the 7 lines about the Jaguar.

com.apple.myCarbonApp.plist
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 08:16:30 pm »

Interesting, I didn't know any of the emulators made it to the Mac.

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
doctorclu

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:36:05 pm »

I've tinkered with virtual Jaguar which I know had Bubsy running.  But Virtual Jaguar was slow.  Need to try again on my 1 ghz G4, but I'm thinking nothing short of a G5 or intel Mac will have decent performance.
Zerosquare

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:20:23 pm »

Dio's emulator is not a general-purpose one, it's meant to emulate Tempest 2000 and the VLM only. I'm pretty sure the Jaguar features which are not used in those two programs are not implemented.

On the other hand, it's extremely good at what it does. Tempest 2000 works absolutely perfect (without the sound glitches that plague Project Tempest). And it's the only one that emulates VLM Wink
Shamus

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 05:24:01 am »

Yeah, I saw that emu and all the people genuflecting at Dio's feet and I couldn't help but wonder why there was no source code to be had. Here was this guy who most likely took code from someone else and optimized it to play one game extremely well and acted like he was a genius while giving absolutely no acknowledgment to those who came before and did all the heavy lifting. OK, if that sounds bitter it's because, well, it is, but hey, I can't help myself sometimes. Tongue I'm just a bitter old coot. Grin

For a while there it looked like he was going to try to make it into a general purpose emu but I knew that he would ultimately fail miserably. Why? Because that's how Virtual Jaguar was when we got it: An emulator that did OK in general but was littered with game specific hacks. I ripped 'em out. ALL of them. Smiley And the reason is that if you have an emu that's tailored and optimized to run one game really, really well you're going to have a hell of a time trying to get that code to run anything else. Wink

@Zerosquare: We'll have the VLM working in VJ once we get the CD BIOS sorted out. Also, we had the VLM in a semi-working state two (or was it three?) years ago. Smiley If I could have figured out how the BIOS was reading the subchannel data from the CD we would have been first. Wink Hopefully we'll be the first to be able to play from real CDs. Grin

@doctorclu: Most likely you'll find VJ is still slow on your Mac. We're hoping to fix that once we get the emu to a relatively accurate state. Smiley
Zerosquare

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:45:06 am »

Hi Shamus !

Do you have any specific reason to believe that his emulator contains ripped code, and that he couldn't have written it from scratch ? It seems a little harsh to me to assume that, if it's just on the basis that he doesn't want to release the source code ; open-source is nice, but it's not an obligation either. Besides, maybe creating an emulator that just runs T2K is significantly easier that a general-purpose one.

Anyways, like I said on AtariAge, I'm glad that VJ is still being developed. I think we should create a separate topic to discuss it Smiley
Shamus

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 02:04:37 am »

I have my suspicions, but I'll keep them to myself until I can prove it. But let's just say that you're in this guy's shoes and you want to write something to play T2K. Hey, look over here, we have some code from a project that's free and open that would save you a ton of time in reinventing the wheel. It isn't perfect, but it's a good start to things and before you know it you're a genius to adoring fans *and* you don't want the people to see your source code unless you're writing a port to a different platform. Smells fishy to me.

So how about that, not only am I a bitter old coot I'm also suspicious and jealous! Smiley Maybe I should go back to AA... Wink

At any rate, rather than spew more venom here I've created a thread dedicated to VJ. Hopefully it will be fruitful. Grin
Shamus

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 03:15:17 am »

<offtopic>

Maybe I should go back to AA... Wink
Holy crap, I've been away from there for a while and just reading some of the threads on the Jaguar forum there makes me glad that I've stayed away. Tongue Wow, I think I need some mental floss...

</offtopic>
Cyrano Jones

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 06:12:06 am »

Shamus, just to set the record straight...

I think you will find if you delve deeper that it's not AA that is at fault, its the people who turn up there from another Jaguar forum that is the problem.

It's all good now tho - they seem to have mostly walled themselves in, safely away from the rest of the progressive world, only popping their heads over the wall to make themselves look even more stupid Smiley
doctorclu

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 04:03:31 am »

@doctorclu: Most likely you'll find VJ is still slow on your Mac. We're hoping to fix that once we get the emu to a relatively accurate state. Smiley

Ah so you wrote the Virtual Jaguar?  Sweet!  I have tried it on Mac and PC and had some success in the past.  Right now I am not having much luck getting it to run on my G4 1 ghz Mac running 10.4.11   as it can't see the cfg file no matter where I put it.

Hey think we could trim an emulator down to run Bubsy?  Smiley
Shamus

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 09:35:27 pm »

Ah so you wrote the Virtual Jaguar?
Hrm, I guess that wasn't as obvious as I thought it was. Wink

Sweet!  I have tried it on Mac and PC and had some success in the past.  Right now I am not having much luck getting it to run on my G4 1 ghz Mac running 10.4.11   as it can't see the cfg file no matter where I put it.
That's probably been fixed in SVN, though the SVN code is broken at the moment. Tongue

Hey think we could trim an emulator down to run Bubsy?  Smiley
Sure you could, but you wouldn't have a Jaguar emulator anymore. Smiley You'd end up using samples for sound like DioJag does for T2K, among other nastiness. Tongue I'm hoping that soon enough such approaches will be moot. Wink
Zerosquare

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 02:17:40 pm »

You'd end up using samples for sound like DioJag does for T2K, among other nastiness. Tongue
It really does ?!
doctorclu

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 04:15:45 pm »

That is interesting that they would do it that way.

So Virtual Jaguar... will they have better speed for the G4 Macs?
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 06:54:19 pm »

So Virtual Jaguar... will they have better speed for the G4 Macs?

Well the G4 is pretty old these days.  I know, my old G4 Powerbook sits collecting mucho dust.

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
Shamus

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 04:52:48 am »

@Zerosquare: Now I'm not sure. It seemed to be implied in the changelog and I seem to have a vague memory of samples being talked about in that forum post over on yakyak but it's been a while since I've read that stuff. Tongue

@doctorclu: If it's a decent processor it should do fine. Once we optimize the thing, that is. Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length