Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 16, 2019, 10:11:56 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar General Discussion
| | |-+  Jaguar Game Review Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Jaguar Game Review Thread  (Read 29100 times)
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 06:00:29 pm »

So, you're saying that if you paid $5 for it, you'd throw it in the waste bin as a game? (packages etc don't count for me, the game is what matters)

Hey that's a bit mean  Angry

But it does sound like the game had fundamental issues with gameplay - and gameplay is what it is all about.

I read that there is no manual & this is to disguise certain of these flaws - but I remember seeing a photo in an email someone sent me that showed a pile of manuals & cartridges, or was that just me dreaming about Jaguar again?!

I wish the authors could release a free gameplay rom, something like 1 min of game with timeout so you could just taste of the game without having to rely on other people  Undecided

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
BobbyBobBob
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 11:35:59 pm »

I wish the authors could release a free gameplay rom, something like 1 min of game with timeout so you could just taste of the game without having to rely on other people  Undecided

I hear you, for all the same reasons you don't trust reviews in official magazines, the only real way is to try before you buy... & with Jaguar you're not going to pop down to GameStop & try out the latest releases.
doctorclu

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 01:28:49 am »

Was just talking on JS2 a bit ago and it looks like some developers, at least one, is taking the idea of releasing in parts, and then selling as a whole product on cartridge.  Seems in this case they had in mind to just release the game anyway, but found that people do like having a physical cartridge.  Can't say that I blame them.  Smiley

Aside from reviews, there are movie files of it, but I know that is not the same.

I'd almost want to say, even though you don't get the feel of gameplay, it would be fun to send out a Jaguar movie disc that has a review in movie form.  That way you can see the game on the TV from you Jaguar with slightly less quality than it will have normally.  Tongue
overlord
Free Jaguar Project Admin

FJP Administrator

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 12:10:13 am »

I think demos would be a great idea! There have been a few demos released here and there, but most of them were of unfinished game.
Sauron

The Dark Lord

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 08:20:05 am »

I decided to give Bubsy a spin tonight, since I haven't touched the game in years and thought that maybe there was something I missed the first time around.

After playing through it for about 30 minutes, all I can say is...nope, didn't miss a damn thing. This game still sucks as terribly as it did all those many years ago.

Don't get me wrong here. This isn't even close to being the Jag's worst title. I think Double Dragon V, Supercross 3D, Air Cars, and several others beat it out pretty easily. Bubsy is a well animated bobcat with amusing expressions. However, that's about where the fun ends. The level designs are outright uninspiring, the controls are pathetically sloppy, and the game would bore me to sleep if it weren't for the cheap deaths. Half the time I can't even tell what killed me when I die. It's a frustrating game that takes a hell of a lot of patience to overcome.

If you are itching to play a fun platformer for the Jaguar after taking a break from Rayman, go get Zool 2. The graphics are equally uninspiring in that game, but at least it's fast, furious, and fun. Bubsy, on the other hand, is sloppy, choppy, and frustrating.

Rating: 4/10
BobbyBobBob
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 07:36:01 pm »

If you are itching to play a fun platformer for the Jaguar after taking a break from Rayman, go get Zool 2.

<3 Zool games! First on ST, then on PC! They took the stress out of Sonic & made it great for a fat old lump like me :-P
Sauron

The Dark Lord

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 07:52:32 pm »

I reviewed Bubsy, so it's only fair that I review Zool 2.

Zool 2

The Jaguar did not seem to be lacking in platform games during its life span. Rayman, Zool 2, Bubsy, Flashback, Pitfall, etc. all gave gamers a select of platform games to choose from. Unfortunately, gamers didn't have a GOOD selection to choose from.

What makes Zool 2 stand out from the rest of the pack? Well, for starters, the fact that the game is just plain fun. You control either Zool or Zoolette (?), running along well-drawn levels battling hordes of cartoonish and seemingly non-threatening enemies while collecting enough candy to make your teeth rot out of your mouth in a day. Zool is equipped with a whip that fires, um, something from it. He's a ninja, after all, and, um...nevermind. That's not important. What is important is that he is certainly no slow poke and the programmers were gracious enough to equip him with mostly responsive (but imperfect: see below) controls. He zips along at the speed of Sonic through fairly non-linear levels.

I have two particular gripes about this game. The first is that the programmers were not gracious enough to equip Zool with a jump button. You have to press up on the joypad in order for Zool to jump. This probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but to me in breaks convention with hundreds of platform games that came before it. Pressing up to jump just does not come naturally, and makes certain parts of levels very frustrating to play, where you're expected to jump with perfect precision. The problem isn't with the Jaguar controller either. I've been using a Microsoft Sidewinder PC gamepad to play via emulation, and the jumping problem is just as bad as on a real Jaguar. If this could be remedied, it would raise my score of the game by an entire point.

My other issue with this game is the graphics, although this is minor in comparison to the gripe about the controls. While the levels are certainly well drawn and beautiful, they hardly inspire confidence in the hardware their running on. The game would have benefitted highly from more on-screen colors. It becomes pretty obvious at times that the game was originally conceived on inferior hardware (the Amiga), and certainly would have benefitted from a larger facelift for its Jaguar incarnation. Having said that, though, the graphics are still pleasing to the eye (in most parts), colorful, and the action speeds along smoothly with hardly any slowdown.

All other issues aside, Zool 2 is easily the second best platformer for the Jaguar. The game is fun and frantic, and will be hard to put down. You could do far worse than to pick up a copy of this game.

Score: 7.5/10
kgenthe

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 01:10:54 am »

I have reviewed the following games on my website. I spent many hours playing these and spent a lot of time writing these reviews. They are pretty indepth:

Rayman http://implantgames.com/?p=330 I almost gave this game a 6/10 for the sheer difficulty. Play this game with a cheat code for more lives.

Power Drive Rally http://implantgames.com/?p=314 Solid and addicting racing game.

Super Burnout http://implantgames.com/?p=297 Brilliant game in every way, my favorite Jag game by a mile

Sauron

The Dark Lord

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 06:51:32 am »

Addendum to my Zool 2 review:

Ok, apparently the A button can be used for jumping. Ugh. However, it doesn't make much of a difference at times since up on the joypad still jumps. This still adds aggravation at times when I'm accidentally pressing diagonally. Oh well. Score still remains the same.
sh3-rg

push the button today

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 11:08:23 am »

Addendum to my Zool 2 review:

Ok, apparently the A button can be used for jumping. Ugh. However, it doesn't make much of a difference at times since up on the joypad still jumps. This still adds aggravation at times when I'm accidentally pressing diagonally. Oh well. Score still remains the same.

Elsewhere in the community there's talk of hacking roms to alter games that have flawed controls. Anyone feel inclined to make a patch for this to remove up/jump- I imagine it's a lot easier then getting involved with checkered flag's whole control physics Smiley But then, I can imagine all kinds of things & know nothing about the practicalities of it Tongue
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:51:52 am by -kZa- » Logged

_ __sh3/reservoir_gods^reboot___ _
Sauron

The Dark Lord

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 10:37:38 pm »

Interesting idea, but probably wouldn't really be worth the effort. The game is still plenty fun as it is, just a little more frustrating to control at times. Smiley The "up for jump" scheme probably comes from its roots on the Amiga, where joysticks typically had only one button. It probably would be a relatively simple hack, though.
Sauron

The Dark Lord

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 07:50:02 am »

Alright, time for another review.

Today's review is on...
Cannon Fodder

"War has never been so much fun!"

So says the manual, marketing materials, and even the theme song (yes, a theme song) for this release for the Jaguar. Cannon Fodder was originally designed and released for the Amiga and ST computers, and not much has changed on its journey to our favorite gaming console. All of the gameplay elements and even the quirky dichotomy of war being "fun" has made a very solid transition to the Jaguar.

Squad-based war games are fairly common now, but were not quite so back in the mid 90s when Cannon Fodder was released. The point of the game is to run through various levels with a squad of men and achieving the objectives set forth prior to the start of the mission. You can control anywhere from 1 to, well, a certain number more. Unfortunately, I am not aware of the max allowed, although I would say it's at least more than 5. You control your squad of men my moving the cursor with your joypad to where you want them to move to and then press C. Pressing B will have them fire an infinite amount of machine gun ammunition. Holding down B and then pressing C will allow your men to either throw a grenade or fire a bazooka, depending on availability and which secondary weapon type is selected. Later on in the game, you are able to drive tanks and other assorted portable heavy weaponry, but most people probably won't make it far enough to find this out for themselves.

One thing that should be noted right away is that this game has a steep difficulty curve. The first 3 or 4 missions are pretty easy, but by the time you reach mission 5 or 6, you'll notice that the long line of recruits is becoming shorter while the hillside behind them is becoming littered with graves. Make no bones about it...this game is quite difficult.

Now, on to the important stuff. The controls are actually quite decent, despite the fact that this game was obviously made with a mouse in mind. However, the movement rate of the cursor was adapted quite well for the Jaguar pad, so there won't be too many "Oh #U*$%!!!" moments that are due simply to the controls. The graphics are nothing spectacular but are quite serviceable, and your squad and enemy characters are well animated and detailed for their size. The audio is very well done, and does a fantastic job of adding to the game. You'll often hear the screams of dying men repeatedly as you riddle their bodies with bullets. The samples are really well done despite their low sample rate.

I'm not sure what else one would really need to know. This game is definitely one of the better Jaguar titles, but be warned: you will not find it easy. However, its addicting qualities will leave you coming back for more despite the frustration that will undoubtedly settle in. If you don't already have this game, what are you waiting for? Go get it now. Smiley

Score: 8.5/10
doctorclu

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 08:10:45 am »

Hey Sauron, really like the reviews, keep them coming!   

Let's see, Zool.. fun game.  It's funnny, I am so accustomed to the Bubsy controls that Zool's controls almost seem stiff in comparison.  Smiley  But then that might also have to do with me turning the traction on as well.  (Immediate stops)   BTW, the programmer for Zool, Trev, frequents here often so stop into his thread and say hi and ask questions.

Cannon Fodder, great game.  I seem to recall getting to a level, must be like 15 or so, where I get taken out repeatedly by bazooka fire.  One thing I can say about Cannon Fooder is that game gives as good as they take it.  Take Wolfenstein... you get a machine gun, flame thrower, bazooka... do the soldiers use those against you?  Nope.  Just get a gun, sometimes a machine gun, gatlin guns for the bosses.

Cannon Fodder, you get grenades thrown at you and bazookas shot at you as an introduction to those being ijn the game.  I mean, you are getting bazooka'd before you really get them yourself.  The enmies in that game are definately not panzies.  Smiley

As for Bubsy, yeh, I know, I'm so good I can make a steaming pile of crap look good.  Wink

Maybe that is the alure of the game for me.  It took so long to get good at the game and SUCH a fatality rate that when you are kicking ass and taking names in that game it just seems so satisfying.   I think all those times that damn flamingo killed me with his mohawk, or that damn bee, or learning how to take down Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.   And now even when I can take out like three at a time, just the memory of dying to those jerks all those times makes even now worth it.

Why had a good 30 minute run tonight.  I generally get to the water levels and if I'm really bored I go through the water levels and knock out the Candy levels.  (Candy levels are fun).   If I have other things to do, then the first nine levels are fine.  And that was where I was tonight.

I really want to decompile Bubsy down to source code, make some suggestions happen in it (different level arrangement, better hit detection, no one hit deaths, etc).  But part of me wonders... if I change all that, will Bubsy loose it's inate charm?
carmel_andrews

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 08:03:58 pm »

Sorry I am a lazy b'stard, had to nick mine from the closed AA thread about jaggie reviews of 25 wordds or less (but it is my one anyway)

Tempest

The Yakmeisters first gaming outing on the jag and in his inhibitable style, it's 'shoot anything that moves', don't read this review...get shooting

kgenthe

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 07:20:55 pm »

Finished up Raiden and wrote a review:

Atari Jaguar Review: Raiden

Overall, Raiden does not take advantage of the Jaguar’s hardware, neither graphically, nor in the sound department. The level design is average at best, with the landscape featuring generic warehouses and terrain. But what it lacks in flash, it makes up for in substance, with responsive controls and interesting weapons. Jaguar owners looking for fast action fun should look no further. Raiden is good stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length