Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2019, 08:03:19 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar General Discussion
| | |-+  Jaguar Game Review Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Jaguar Game Review Thread  (Read 30413 times)
Hellcat
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:31:17 am »

Have a favorite or least favorite game? Play a new one for the first time? Feel free to tell us about it here.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:45:13 am »

Are we restricted to 25 words or less? Seems to be all over the rage in other forums Tongue

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
doctorclu

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:48:55 am »

Speaking of reviews in 25 words or less....  Smiley   I'm going to repost my extensive "25 words or less" review I did on Atariage.  This will give people a good list of what's out there, and put my cards on the table on what I think of ALL the Atari Jaguar games out there:

JAGUAR GAME REVIEWS
..... in 25 Words or Less

2006- A clever pong simulator of the "Uni2006" pong station.
2600 emulator - Hey awesome, thanks for the source code, so.. how do you run this again?
Aircars - The Atari 800 could have made a better tank game, but hey, it's NETWORKED!!
Alien Vs. Predator - Kill em with claw and tail, kill em with staff and disc,
_______________ or be a man and use a shotgun.
Alien Vs. Predator (Alpha) - OMG.. the face hugger is behind me AGAIN.. and again!!
All the Rage - The Primal Rage soundtrack.
Alpine - A development Jaguar that looks like it is balancing a computer daughter board on top.
American Hero - Jack happily takes another one... or two.. for the American Team. Goooo Jack!
_____________ (Jaguar marketing budget obviously blown on hot models for this movie.)  Wink
Arena Football - A Football "could have been" for the Jaguar... yahhh.. *
Arkanna - See the next entry "Assassin".
Assassin - An interesting work in progress for years that gave hope till other projects came along.
Asteriods - Add some sound and graphics detail to the ship as the asteriods have, and this would
_________ be perfect!
Atari Karts - It's Wacky Racers for the Jaguar with wacky tracks, just wish it had wacky weapons.
Atomic - Love the opening music, a really tough but fun puzzle game where you assemble atoms.
Atomic Reloaded - Adding nice finishing touches to a already good game.
Attack of the Mutan Penguins - I remember I had fun, and there was a fun pack-in game
________________________ but can't honestly tell you what I did. Smiley
Bad Code 1-600 i Tongue - A mysterious programmer in early Jaguar amateur programming scene
________________ showing how to program "Hello world" in multiple ways.
Baldies - Has anyone really played this game? A strategy game where you get to play God basically.
Balloons - The Jaguar has early LIGHT GUN games! Woot!!
Battlemorph - reminds me of the CGI movie "Planetary Traveller" (1997). With the music and
___________ graphics is part action, part experience.
Battlemorph (Alpha) - A good close up of an unmorphing ship. Looked better than final I thought.
Battlesphere - It's Space Lords (the arcade game), or even better the dream come true ...
____________Star Raiders NETWORKED!!! Well basically.
Battlesphere Gold - All the above, plus pretty warp tunnels... wwoooooowwww... Tongue
Battlesphere Trio - For all you collectors out there, we thought we'd release this one copy
______________ just to piss you off.
Battlesphere (Soundtrack) - The great music Steph (Sebab) put together, still available on Jagudome.
Black Ice/White Noise - Run.. run.. run.. damn.. where is that hooker?
Black Jag: Hyper Power League - A possible Baseball game!! That is kinda cool. *
Blackout - A up and coming puzzle game where you turn off tiles using the keypad.
________ Sharply programmed.
Blue Lightning - One of a few titles that carried over from the Lynx. Think "Zaxxon" and not
_____________ "Afterburner" when playing this and you'll be fine.
Brain Dead 13 - FMV game on the Jaguar about a computer repair guy that gets stuck in a
_____________ crazy person's house. Had that happen before.
Brain Games - Paints a great checker and chess board. Glad it was found.
Brett Hull Hockey - Hockey for the Jaguar, and the only real sports game on the Jag I've enjoyed. *
Breakout 2000 - A little slow, a bit subdued, but still breakout to the next level. NEEDS PADDLES!!!
Brutal Sports Football - Play with a friend, forget the ball, KILL THE TEAM! Great fun & laughs.
Bubsy - Grasshopper... do you have the patience to learn the way of the Bobcat?
______ The path is hard, but over time addicting fun.
Cannon Fodder - Lemmings, mixed with Worms, mixed with Southpark. Smiley "War, never had so much fun." So true.
Catbox - A box that offers a variety of plugs and ports.
_______ Some I'm sure are there to look impressive.
Caves of Fear - Like "American Hero", but without the boobies, and well, what's the point?
Charles Barkley - Hey lookie here, ANOTHER basketball game!! *
Checkered Flag - A racing game with amazing graphics and amazingly bad controls. Hope this
_____________ game can have a code adjustment one day.
Clicks - A fun puzzle game that looks just amazing that needs to skip the networking for now and
______ just release.
Contiki - Available for the Jaguar as well as other retro systems that allowed the Jaguar limited
_______ web surfing abilities.
Club Drive - It's toy cars, and bumper car great two player fun!
Cybergolf Demo - Well.. we COULD had had a golf game. *
Cybermorph - Initially this game does not impress, but play past about four worlds and you'll find
___________ the game to be quite addicting.
Defender 2000 - A game that will be cooler once you can add another screen to the left and right.
_____________Classic Defender is excellent though.
Diamond Jag - You sure do shine! (Seals and Croft's song spoof.) Fun puzzle game
____________from start to finish.
Do The Same - A puzzle game that is a lot of fun, and would say worth every penny,
____________ but it was free, and definately worth more than that. Smiley
Doom - One player is great shotgun gore splatting fun, two player doubly more so.
Double Dragon 5 - It could have been a platform beat em up like on the Lynx, but noooo...
Dragon - The Bruce Lee Story - Some really like the variety of controls of this fighter.
_________________________ Me, once I left the title screen this game lost points. Later thrown.
Dragon's Lair - The fantasy FMV arcade hit that killed video games for a while. Kinda fun.
Eerievale- A good looking "Seventh Guess" game, that has us guessing when it will be released.
Ethernet Flash - A neat experiment on the Jaguar that got the Jaguar on the Net. See "Contiki"
Fight For Life - Rock 'em, Sock 'em Robots drug on five times too long.
Fight For Life (Beta) - "This is what you COULD have got Atari if you PAID ME for my time
_________________ programming this game..... jerk..."
Fevor Pitch Soccer - Well at least it wasn't Football again... Tongue *
Flash card - The development tool of Atari developers that has no restrictions to load all game images.
_________ Pricey, loader software is clunky, but WORTH IT!
Flashback - Need a basic puzzle/adventure/platformer for a weekend? Grab this game.
Flip Out - Do you like working on things with cats jumping at what you do?
________Then you'll love this game!!
Frog Feast - The multi retro platform 8-bit game, about frogs eating flies. Ribbit!!
Evolution: Dino Dudes - Arrange your men to solve the level puzzle. Like Lemmings, but minus the
___________________ weapons and less fun.
Gorf - Strikingly great Gorf arcade clone, which needs to be called "Frog", changed by 20%, and
_____ re-released to uncopyright infringement manner for more to enjoy.
Gorf (cartridge) - "There can only be one!" Tongue
Gorf 2000 - The Gorf of the early Jaguar years. Mostly there, except the flagship. A good start.
Highlander - 3D Myst-like adventure that can be frustrating to control as camera angles change,
__________ yet cool to complete once.
Hover Strike - Hey this game is slightly better than your aaaavverage ST tank game.
Hover Strike CD - Hey this game is slighty better than the aaavverrage Hover Strike cartridge game.
Hyperforce -Think of this as HERO for the 2600/5200 updated for the Jaguar.
I-War - Might as well label this TRON since it is a tank game with that look and feel.
International Sensible Soccer - Oh for crying out loud? ANOTHER Soccer game!? *
Iron Soldier - You control a pissed off Optimus Prime. Great fun.
Iron Soldier 2- More fun with Optimus Prime, and later with an AT/ST Walker from Star Wars!!!
Iron Soldier 2 CD-Like Iron Soldier 2, but with 30% more pointless movie files!
JagAds - A Jaguar movie disc showing the brilliance and absolute failures of Jaguar marketing.
_______ Good comercials: Doom, Kasumi Ninja, AvP, and the brain test.
JagCD - 150,000 were made, they cost about $150+ now, and about 13 games were originally
______ relased for it. Good amateur game loader now though. VLM rocks!
JagLink - A useful thing to have for 2 player Doom, Battesphere, or Aircars.
JagLink2 -A useful device sold for only a short time that would allow you to link more than 2 Jaguars.
JagLion Demo - A neat render of a walking JagLion. (JagLions do exist, I was amazed to learn that.)
JagMania - Jag Man runs around a maze, jumping over ghosts.. really good game but sounds
_________ familiar somehow. Tongue
JagMarble - An interesting Marble Madness demo.
Jag Modplayer - I'm glad there are at least two mod music players. Smiley
Jaguar - Was it 64 bit? One thing for sure is, it was and is a powerful Atari game system.
Jaguar Controller - A controller seemingly inspired by the intellivision on Coleco Controller.
_______________ Loved by people with large-ish hands, hated by the rest.
Jaguar Controller (Pro)- Like the Jaguar Controller, but with more buttons to confuse you, which
___________________ people seem to like for some reason.
Jaguar Hockey - JS2's way of saying "Please don't sue us!" Great game. See "Brett Hull Hockey" *
JagTos - Yes, someone has got the Jaguar to run as a 2 meg Atari ST with monochrome screen.
Janalog - Is your Jaguar one of the few chosen ones to support the covetted analog controllers?
_______ This disc tells your destiny. Smiley
JetPac - An astronaut collecting parts of his rocket, and then gathering fuel.
______ Much reminded me of user group games for the Atari 800. Good times.
JUGS - "Jaguar Unmodified Game Server" capible of loading a 15 second BJL game in 2 minutes, but
_____ yet a start for some on amateur game loading.
JUGS Demo CD- Gives you material to load with the JUGS game loader (PC disc)
JUGS DD - Gives you games and demos to load on your CD rom drive.
Jungle Jag - an amateur programmed and simple platformer of a Caveman who jumps through
_________ his gauntlet, carrying a club he never uses.
Kasumi Ninja - It's Kung Fu Theater meets the Village People. Great laughs to play with friends.
Kasumi Ninja (alpha) - If only special moves were so easy. And they had a maze on it? Why?
Lady Bug - An interesting Lady Bug Demo. Why couldn't they have made it playable?
Legion - See "Assassin" entry.
Lost Treasures - "Well my hard drive tanked, here is what was left, check these out." Smiley
Mad Bodies - It's... uh.. what the hell is it... oh AHEM.. good work guys, please make more games...
Martian Attack - The Jaguar's beefed up answer to Intellivision's "Star Strike".
The Maxx - Glad this MTv series animated character made an interesting cameo demo on the Jaguar.
Memory Track - Don't you just love how "Memory Track" is always counted as one of the Jaguar's
____________ many games? Tongue
Missile Command 3D - It's Missile Command as you imagined it would be as a kid. Just stunning.
__________________ Just wish my copy wouldn't always crash....
Missile Command VR - Just in time for Christmas! Missile Command, complete with VR helm,
__________________ neck strain, back pain, and medical bills in adult life. Smiley
Native Demo - The much talked about shooter with great graphics, no sound, and one level.. yippee!
NBA Jam - It's Basketball for the Jaguar, Yahhh!! *
Ocean Depths - An ocean picture slide show, an Eerievale demo (it is dark, you might be eaten
____________ by a grue), Jaguar Mind. Interesting at least.
Osmozys - "Diamond Jag" done in true Jaguar style. Fun watching your ball fly into space.. Wee! Smiley
Painter - The Jaguar's answer to "Qix". A truly good game.
Painter (beta) - Great BJL demo that foreshadowed what was to come.
Phase Zero - "Space Harrier" for the Jaguar. Yep even unfinished it is pretty fun.
Phear (Tetrisphear) - Definition 1) the awesome puzzle game originally made for the Jaguar, bought
_______________ out by SNES. 2) the look collectors give when you ask for a rom image.  Undecided
Pinball Fantasies - Gotta have a good pinball game for a console. This was the most fun of two.
Pitfall - Great graphics, control, great 2600 Pitfall segment; final boss could have been more
______ menacing otherwise best version, most underrated platformer on Jaguar.
Power Drive Rally - Great detail to small cars. Lots of fun. Also see "Slam Racers".
Primal Rage - Dinosaurs fighting!! Grrr... Arrggg!! (Pretty fun for a fighter despite slow load.)
Protector - It's what Defender should have been. But wait, we can make it better? ...
Protector SE - ... ahh.. so we can make it better. And add BJL... and CD bypass....
Quake - "There is no Quake alpha... move along..."
Raiden - Man this is a great shooter, better with a friend. So how do we turn the other half
_______ of the screen off?
Rayman - He jumps, he flys, he punches, it is the great platformer that people paid money
_______ to steal it away from premiering on the Jaguar first. Tongue
Rayman (Beta) - Look at him walk! All the graphics are in tact, but other than walk he can't do crap.
Robinson's Requiem - An RPG game though buggy was just about ready. A game I hope can one
_________________ day see the light of day.
Ruiner Pinball - The second of two pinball games with the beefier graphics.
Scatbox - The re-release of the Catbox by Scatologic years later in recycled Battlesphere Gold
________ clear case.
Seaplane - Why oh why wasn't this finished? Such a promising Jaguar answer to
________ the arcade game "1941".
Sharkbyte Productions - A great source of Jaguar humor and parodies for years.
Skunkboard - 90% flash card, 80% BJL hookup, 30% Alpine = 200% Jaguar goodness.
Skyhammer - It's a glimmer of "Descent" with a Blade Runner feel.
___________ Activate the cheats and have a blast.
Slam Racers - An amazingly tight matchbox racer car game to be made by amateur developers.
Soccer Kid - This 3DO platformer only further enriches the Jaguar platformer library. Remember,
_________ the ball can be summoned... knowing that is half the battle. Wink
Soul Star - The really neat game that is great up to the buggy part, and if you can get past it,
_________ great AFTER the buggy part too. Smiley
Space Ace - FMV space game that is completely unplayable on the Jaguar.
Space War 2000 - Fly through space, blasting away with great graphics. Great two player fun
_____________ with one console. Just don't hit your friend's ship...
Super Burn Out - A truly great motorcycle game with a great feel for the road.
Super Cross 3D - This Motor cross game will have you laughing for about five minutes
______________ as you spend more time crashing than driving. ("Circus Atari" splat kinda fun.)
Surrounded - A game intended as a demo with a horrendiously long introduction for a DEMO.
___________ After the five minute intro fast paced addictive fun!
Syndicate - Command tiny people to do missions in tiny cities. A more serious Lemming type game.
Tapper - (By Reboot) Looks great, when do we get to uncork this classic game?
Team Tap - An awesome device to allow you play multiplayer with... one title. Smiley
Tempest 2000 - They took Tempest from the arcade, which I thought sucked, and added music
_____________ great weapons, graphics, and made it Jaguar crack! Has PADDLE CONTROLS too!
Tempest 2000 (Soundtrack) - If only Tempest could be recoded to pull tracks from the CD rom
______________________ and play this soundtrack. "Television is the retina of the minds' eye"
Tetris - How complex does it need to be? You drop blocks and arrange them right to great
______ techno music. So simple yet so good.
Theme Park - Glad one Sim game made it to the Jaguar for the stategy minded.
Tiny Toons : Plucky Duck Adventure - I'm walking... I'm walking... yep... still walking...
Tiny Toons (The other beta) - Waiting for this recently found treasure to launch (a pun at the
_______________________ rocket on the title screen.
Total Carnage - It's total meyhem, total chaos, total carnage! Add a friend and have total fun.
Towers 2 - Could have been a great fantasy Wolfenstein. Developer must have got tired of
________ writing this game in midstream, packed it up, and sold as-is.
Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy - Its the "Gates of Zendocon" for the Lynx, given spiffier graphics.
Troy Aikman Football - Oh yah, ANOTHER football game for the Jaguar. *
Ultra Vortek - Just have a Jaguar and you like fighter games? This game will get you through
___________ Till you find your Dreamcast. Tongue
Val D'Isere Skiing - Is this like skiing for real? Not sure, but it sure is fun.
Vid Grid - A fun puzzle game that involves music videos. Good selection of music too.
VLM- "Virtual Light Machine"... when you don't feel like playing games and just want pretty music.
Warlords Demo - Warlords is in basic form on the Jaguar! Yes!! Add Team tap and rotary support
_____________ and this game would be AWESOME.
White Men Can't Jump - It's bobble head Basketball... and FOUR PLAYER to boot!! *
Wolfenstein 3D- It's like Doom was ported backwards to make this possible. The Jaguar overpowers
____________ this game, but fun. Wish knife was selectable only gripe.
World Tour Racing - Sharp, fantastic racer. Great music. And special to this game is the
________________ "pancake vision" two player mode. Tongue
Worms- How do you start this game.. (game finally starts) oh ok... is my controller working?
________(tests controller on Bubsy) yep, controller works...Uhh.. cute demo!
Zero 5 - Hey, let's show the power of the Jaguar in a space fighter, but fly the ship from OUTSIDE
______ the ship to be different...
ZooClan - Looked like a cute simple demo, Skunkboard hates it.
Zoop - Puzzle game that is said to be "America's Greatest waste of time" Well they had that half right.
Zool 2 - This Amiga mascot makes his way to the Jaguar for one of his best performances.
______ This is Sonic, with Ninja throwie things.

* I never have understood or been a fan of sports games on video game consoles. There is only one way to play sports, and that is to actually PLAY sports. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:01:12 pm by doctorclu » Logged
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 01:06:52 pm »

Speaking of reviews in 25 words or less....  Smiley   I'm going to repost my extensive "25 words or less" review I did on Atariage.  This will give people a good list of what's out there, and put my cards on the table on what I think of ALL the Atari Jaguar games out there:

It's spreading like wildfire I tell you!

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
doctorclu

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:41:58 pm »

Very good.  So which ones above did you 1) find funny and 2) disgrees with and why?
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 08:47:43 pm »

Blue Lightning - a devastating disappointment for those who played the great Lynx version.  And well fans of videogames in general I suppose.   Tongue

Bubsy - what you play when you are tired of life

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
doctorclu

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:46:52 am »

Blue Lightning - a devastating disappointment for those who played the great Lynx version.  And well fans of videogames in general I suppose.   Tongue

Bubsy - what you play when you are tired of life

Oh sure, let's all torch the Bubster....  Tongue
doctorclu

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:49:55 am »

You have me beat if you've played all the games. I gotta get moving.

Agree with you're Brutal Sports Football review. Nothing like ripping a friends head off to start the game off right.
Then again, I also liked Mutant League Hockey and Football on Genesis so there may be a trend.  Smiley

Yeh there have been whole series of brawl this and brutal that.  There was a soccer game for the ST that I thought was amusing looking.  We really need to get better at porting ST games sometimes.  Smiley

So as far as my review list goes, did I miss anyone?

And I know my review of Worms can be better.  Seriously, I don't understand the gameplay just yet.
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:35:05 pm »

And I know my review of Worms can be better.  Seriously, I don't understand the gameplay just yet.

Worms (in general) is a fun little game.  It's not that complicated, but you do need to learn a few concepts.  I find Worms is most fun against human players.  The Jag won't react to your gloating.   Grin

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
Tobermory

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 01:38:43 pm »

Mad Bodies - An Honest Review
-----------------------------

You may have heard of this game as it's the only commercial jaguar game to be released in the last several years. And from what you might gather from the review sites, it's a pretty good game as well.

After purchasing this "masterpeice" I can only say that there are no accurate reviews of this game available online that I have been able to see.

The game resembles a Breakout - with a twist. It's no fun at all. And worse than that,  there doesnt appear to be a manual because the authors would rather you try to work out how to play it on your own. I think this is an excuse to cover up bugs in the game logic so that whatever happens they can say that it was supposed to happen.

The graphics. Well. In all honesty I have never seen a commercial game with such shoddy artwork.  The backdrop appears to be a static picture with (at most) 8 colours in it. On top of this you have badly drawn blobs which fall down the screen in exactly the same pattern repeatedly. And to make matters worse, they don't even clip at the edges.

The planets that you have to bounce move rather jerkily around the screen and occasionally the collision detection works and you hit them. Oh, they're not animated by the way - which in this case is a good thing because it means you are not subjected to more horrible pixels. Sometimes things shoot at you. But you might not recognise that they are because they look so bad as well.

And that brings me to the high score screen. A screen so bad that words cannot express the horror of seeing it. Really bad hand drawn graphics... with colour cycling animation... But wait! It get's worse... with the cycled colours also appearing esewhere on screen.

Now take all this brilliance, throw away any semblence of gameplay, and add some of the most horrificly annoying samples you are ever likely to hear, and you have what can only be called an utter disaster of a game that was released in a condition it should have looked like after a few days of coding, not several years.

I wish I could get my money back - AVOID AT ALL COSTS. 0/10.

Underground, overground ROMbling free, the ROMbles of Winbledon common are we. Making the most of the ROMs that we find, the things that the everyday 'tards leave behind.
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 01:46:37 pm »

You may have heard of this game as it's the only commercial jaguar game to be released in the last several years. And from what you might gather from the review sites, it's a pretty good game as well.

After purchasing this "masterpeice" I can only say that there are no accurate reviews of this game available online that I have been able to see.

The game resembles a Breakout - with a twist. It's no fun at all. And worse than that,  there doesnt appear to be a manual because the authors would rather you try to work out how to play it on your own. I think this is an excuse to cover up bugs in the game logic so that whatever happens they can say that it was supposed to happen.

The graphics. Well. In all honesty I have never seen a commercial game with such shoddy artwork.  The backdrop appears to be a static picture with (at most) 8 colours in it. On top of this you have badly drawn blobs which fall down the screen in exactly the same pattern repeatedly. And to make matters worse, they don't even clip at the edges.

The planets that you have to bounce move rather jerkily around the screen and occasionally the collision detection works and you hit them. Oh, they're not animated by the way - which in this case is a good thing because it means you are not subjected to more horrible pixels. Sometimes things shoot at you. But you might not recognise that they are because they look so bad as well.

And that brings me to the high score screen. A screen so bad that words cannot express the horror of seeing it. Really bad hand drawn graphics... with colour cycling animation... But wait! It get's worse... with the cycled colours also appearing esewhere on screen.

Now take all this brilliance, throw away any semblence of gameplay, and add some of the most horrificly annoying samples you are ever likely to hear, and you have what can only be called an utter disaster of a game that was released in a condition it should have looked like after a few days of coding, not several years.

Wow, that sounds pretty bad. And I was saving my money to buy a copy...

Can anyone write another honest review here please? I'd like to cross check stuff!

Sauron

The Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 01:51:54 am »

Do The Same - A wonderful little puzzle game that I can't stop playing. I'll say it again...if you haven't tried this out yet, do whatever you have to do to play it. Smiley
doctorclu

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 06:00:18 am »

Wow, that sounds pretty bad. And I was saving my money to buy a copy...

Can anyone write another honest review here please? I'd like to cross check stuff!

I did write an honest review:
"Mad Bodies - It's... uh.. what the hell is it... oh AHEM.. good work guys, please make more games..."

3D STOOGES has made some awesome things.  Gorf was great.  Surrounded was great.  But honestly, I think Mad Bodies, while released later, was actually one of their earlier works in their programming learning curve.

You have to catch and bounce this planetoid while shooting at other objects on the screen.  This part would not be so bad, except that you eventually have to juggle two and three planetoids.  This was the "not fun" part.  You can counter this by shooting the planetoids like 50 times, and after blowing them up, you can focus on the other things on the screen.  But the things on the screen to shoot are pretty few when you have nothing else to do.

My suggestion, give ONE thing to catch, and more items to shoot in the screen.

As you fly along, you catch space men, and you leave them on a space station that passes by you.  That gives you various power ups.

When you get to the boss screen, you no longer have to worry about juggling a planetoid.  Instead you catch (no penalty if you don't at this stage) colorful circles that you try to bounce back at the boss.  That part is actually fairly fun.

I think if this was like I was in the 80's when I would FORCE myself to learn the game because it was all I had, I think this game could be a lot of fun.  I practically did that after paying $80 for it, and I generally like it.  It is a game that once YOU adapt to it, you have fun.   Unlike games like Raiden and Tempest 2K where you sit back, and have fun from the get go with no real adaption. 

That seems the way it is for Jaguar games.  The ones you can adapt to like, and those that you just like.  Mad Bodies is unique experience that you can adapt to like.  I mainly like it because I applaud the efforts of 3D Stooges, and for that, glad I bought the game.  But it to me was really one of those "So that was fun enough, so when are we going to see the REAL version of Surrounded?"

Anyway, my score on a 5 part scale...  a 2.  It's there, it had some action, some promise, some good moments.  Smiley
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 12:17:32 pm »

So, you're saying that if you paid $5 for it, you'd throw it in the waste bin as a game? (packages etc don't count for me, the game is what matters)

BobbyBobBob
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 02:06:39 pm »

So, you're saying that if you paid $5 for it, you'd throw it in the waste bin as a game? (packages etc don't count for me, the game is what matters)

Hey that's a bit mean  Angry

But it does sound like the game had fundamental issues with gameplay - and gameplay is what it is all about.

I read that there is no manual & this is to disguise certain of these flaws - but I remember seeing a photo in an email someone sent me that showed a pile of manuals & cartridges, or was that just me dreaming about Jaguar again?!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length