Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2019, 07:07:23 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar Emulators
| | |-+  Jag Emulation - Where are we?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jag Emulation - Where are we?  (Read 12399 times)
overlord
Free Jaguar Project Admin

FJP Administrator

« on: August 01, 2009, 09:06:47 pm »

Just to kick off this forum, I thought it would be a good idea to list the available Jaguar emulators and their current state. This is my own simple list to the best of my knowledge:

Jagulator - Dead emulator with limited compatibility

Project Tempest - Dead emulator with limited compatibiliy. Runs Tempest 2000 well, also runs an assortment of other Jag games (almost all 2D) with various results. Currently the fastest emulator, IMO.

Virtual Jaguar - Current emulator with limited compatibility. Seems to have a wider range of working games, but DSP is currently disabled by default and runs slow when enabled. Developers are a bit slow with updates and are working for max compatibility first before optimizing for speed.

Am I missing any here?
BobbyBobBob
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:15:38 am »

I think I read that one of the Skunkboard developers worked on adapting/improving one of the emus, it was Virtual Jaguar iirc. It isn't released though & some sections of the Jaguar community would like to see it stay that way (they seem to be against emulation as it could be used for piracy..?)
doctorclu

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 03:55:13 am »

Hmmm... not so sure they are against emulation per se.  The question that comes up is what are you going to run on that emulator?  Smiley

Anyway, I liked Virtual Jaguar, and the only problem I had with it as it stands is the speed.  I ran it on a 2.5 ghz PC and a 800 dual processor Mac, and both ran at like 60%.

I actually hear of a lot of people who are trying Jaguar for the first time, and even claim to have played games on emulation.  That just amazes me.
overlord

FJP Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 04:55:59 am »

Anyway, I liked Virtual Jaguar, and the only problem I had with it as it stands is the speed.  I ran it on a 2.5 ghz PC and a 800 dual processor Mac, and both ran at like 60%.

Do you have the DSP enabled or disabled? I have a 2 Ghz Athlon XP and with the DSP (and therefore, sound) disabled, it runs at 100%. I'm thinking that the DSP code is highly unoptimized at this point.
theterrible

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:07:29 am »

I think I read that one of the Skunkboard developers worked on adapting/improving one of the emus, it was Virtual Jaguar iirc. It isn't released though & some sections of the Jaguar community would like to see it stay that way (they seem to be against emulation as it could be used for piracy..?)
That isn't quite true.

If there are any major updates to it, it would be released.  There wouldn't be any point in improving it if it wasn't going to be put out there for people to use.
User42

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:23:26 pm »

Well VJ is definetly still being worked on...but nothing has been released in a long time.
You can read up on it here...
http://forums.ngemu.com/sdlemu-official-discussion/
One of the dev just posted 2 days ago, so they are still around.
BobbyBobBob
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 06:36:49 pm »

That isn't quite true.

If there are any major updates to it, it would be released.  There wouldn't be any point in improving it if it wasn't going to be put out there for people to use.

Yes it is true. He said he only improved it to a state where it was helpful for his own debugging. I mentioned it because it was relevant.
theterrible

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 02:11:13 am »

That isn't quite true.

Yes it is true. He said he only improved it to a state where it was helpful for his own debugging. I mentioned it because it was relevant.
Right, but to say some sections of the community want it to stay hidden in the same sentence implies that is the reason it hasn't been released.  That's what I was claiming wasn't quite true.
BobbyBobBob
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 11:52:11 am »

Right, but to say some sections of the community want it to stay hidden in the same sentence implies that is the reason it hasn't been released.  That's what I was claiming wasn't quite true.

Well, OK Smiley The other part of that message was reference to the same thread where a couple of guys made their thoughts known on Jaguar emulation, not the guy who improved the emulator. Glad we got that straight.
overlord

FJP Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 02:48:35 am »

It looks like we missed an emulator! MESS also has Jaguar support:

http://www.mess.org
ggn

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 06:46:42 pm »

It looks like we missed an emulator! MESS also has Jaguar support:

http://www.mess.org

Last time I tried MESS, it was a huge one (hehe), and I just gave it 5-10 years to mature. The time has not passed yet Wink
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:50:08 pm by ggn » Logged
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 09:56:39 pm »

Ah yeah, completely forgot about MESS.  I'm sure there's a long way to go on Jag work there but at least someone is working on it.  I've used MESS for TI99/4A emulation (it's quite good at it).

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
miker

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 07:32:05 am »

Hi!

Anyone mentioned such one as T2k emulator?

It's maybe not "full-blown" Jaguar emulator but allows you to play some games (e.g. mentioned Tempest 2000) at full speed.

Just look here: http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=41691
SpiderJerusalem
Tech Group

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 07:44:32 am »

Hmm, I think it was mentioned on another thread, but thanks for posting it here.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Smiley

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length