Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2019, 01:58:11 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar Development
| | |-+  Games section
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Games section  (Read 8711 times)
sh3-rg

push the button today

« on: September 24, 2009, 03:10:44 pm »

As we're about to release a little jaguar game I got thinking, is there any chance we can have a section on this site where devs can put up their games & stuff to go with them, such as code & links to their sites etc?

I know this site was set up with it's main focus on things that can't be discussed on AA, but that stuff just isn't all that interesting to me.

Maybe this section could extend to contain previous releases (PD stuff, obviously) as I found that pretty difficult to locate when I first got into. the Jaguar. I'm sure if there were links to emulators & links to or a repository of free stuff here all nicely grouped together with info on how to fun, well, it'd maybe help people out who are new to Jaguar or who just don't have the time to go hunting & trawling all over the place.

Of course, if such a place already exists I'd love a link to it & just forget all that crap I mentioned above Wink

_ __sh3/reservoir_gods^reboot___ _
GroovyBee

Busy bee!

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:35:56 pm »

Agreed! A homebrew section would be good. It could cover games, utilities or even hardware. Basically any projects that developers want to share information about.
ggn

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:56:34 pm »

Well personally I have this idea of turning FJP into a website where one can find all the latest Jag news, a big section regarding the PD games (downloads, screenshots, author comments, assets), links, and of course this Forum here.

I'd like people to state their opinions on this, IMHO a simple forum will take us so far before being a nuisance. For example, I think that adding a games section here will be good, but will become messy as we start adding more and more games.

So, I've spoken my piece and I'm willing to do the web stuff. Any people that would like to help out? Do you think it's not worth it?
GroovyBee

Busy bee!

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 12:29:57 am »

Well personally I have this idea of turning FJP into a website where one can find all the latest Jag news, a big section regarding the PD games (downloads, screenshots, author comments, assets), links, and of course this Forum here.

Yep! A web portal for the jag would be good. I'd like to see the FJP site extend beyond a forum too.

However, my HTML skills aren't up to the job and I've too many other retro computer projects on the go as it is Sad. I can only offer moral support at the moment but I would be 100% behind any moves to take the site in that direction.
sh3-rg

push the button today

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 02:55:50 am »

I see what you're saying that there's only so much that can be done with a forum format before it'll get messy & hard to maintain if you try to force it into being more than that. So yes, it does make more sense to have some kind of portal site with news, the free game downloads, info & other sections with a forum as just a part of the site as long as that's where most people think it should go. It'd be more useful to me like that so I guess the same would be true for other people, especially those who don't really 'do' forums but want the info. Having news in a blog style with comments underneath from forum members would be good I suppose if you could make being a forum member the same as being a member of the site.

There are already long established Jaguar forums & it's quiet here in terms of number of posts & number of members, but then it's also quiet in other ways Wink  I think the main reason some people have joined here is simply to talk about Jaguar stuff without the drama, not really for the reasons it was created by Sauron such as being a safe place to discuss things AA were not happy handling. If you look where the posts have been here, it's not really in those areas, it's pretty much talking about games & making them. If this site was to focus more on that kind of stuff & have a good way of organising everything I'd be happy to help out where I can.

doctorclu

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:43:42 am »

Think Sauron started a good thing, and yes so far we get in some good conversations minus the drama.

Ummm... like what we have here honestly.  I don't mind that there is no file area, but do like how the messages can hold more upload content.  That has come in handy in the Bubsy disassembly messages.
sh3-rg

push the button today

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:56:45 am »

Yes Sauron started a good thing & that doesn't have to stop. It wouldn't mean losing anything here by what's been suggested. It would just mean this forum isn't bent out of shape by trying to add a few extras to make it something that's more useful for devs & users, rather than having FJP focus on just the things that AA won't handle that I don't think most people here have as their main focus.

The Amiga, ST, gba/ds etc. communities have their news portals that also double up as some kind of 'ultimate resource' or a good starting point for whatever you want to find - with a forum in the background. They're essential bookmarks. Jaguar used to have JS2 that could be said to be the closest thing, but it's still a forum with extras bolted on and it's current private status has taken it out of that equation for now at least.

I'm willing to do gfx stuff for the site if people think it's worth going the extra mile, making it into a proper site and not just a forum or a dumping ground for files & stuff. It won't hurt finding out apart from time & effort Wink ATM you have to go here, there & everywhere to find Jaguar stuff,...I just like things organised I suppose Cheesy I's say in time it'd encourage more people to participate as well. From past experience with the http://rg.atari.org/ site I know atari.org could provide a decent amount of resources.

doctorclu

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:51:30 pm »

I think that is a great idea, so how likely is it to get a download section?
Mord

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 11:42:19 pm »

I'd like people to state their opinions on this, IMHO a simple forum will take us so far before being a nuisance. For example, I think that adding a games section here will be good, but will become messy as we start adding more and more games.

So, I've spoken my piece and I'm willing to do the web stuff. Any people that would like to help out? Do you think it's not worth it?

For adding a separate section for PD type information/binaries/etc, that section would best be served by it hosting primarily "finished" works. (Things that the creators actually finished, or things that are officially abandoned.) 

For works in progress however it would probably be better served here in the forums the same way it works on Atari Age. Easier to get feedback etc if it's all in one thread.  Once it's all finished however, the main information released in the thread could be added to the download/info section for easy access/convenience. (as the original thread would no longer be getting nearly as many replies to keep it afloat, thus making it harder to find with searches later on. Wink)

Works currently in progress could still be referenced with a link to the thread until it's ready to have everything copied over. Smiley  (And there's no real reason to remove the referenced link even after the project's complete!)

So a homebrew forum could be useful.
doctorclu

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 02:58:58 am »

So what possible servers do we have for space to use on this?
ggn

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 06:43:37 am »

So what possible servers do we have for space to use on this?

atari.org for one
Cyrano Jones

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 09:01:26 pm »

Mirrored onto the dbug-automation servers as well if you'd like.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length