Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2019, 07:46:50 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Atari Jaguar Discussions
| |-+  Jaguar General Discussion
| | |-+  Best Jaguar Racer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Best Jaguar Racer  (Read 12223 times)
kgenthe

« on: October 01, 2009, 06:57:58 am »

Racing games have been my favorite genre of video games since I started racing RC cars when I was 8 years old. So anytime I pick up a new (old) system I usually snatch up all the racing games available for the system. Anyway, the Jaguar has just a handful of racing titles available for it:

Super Burnout - Motorcycle racing ala Hang On
Power Drive Rally - Top view rally game
Atari Karts - Mario Kart clone complete with Mode 7 style graphics
Checkered Flag - Virtua Racing clone
Supercross 3D - 3D dirt bike racing
World Tour Racing - 3D open wheel racing

6 titles in all, and all are completely different from one another. Sadly, I only own 3 (CF, PDR, and SB). I think the stand out title is Super Burnout. I've expressed my love for this game in other threads, this game simply rocks! I think Power Drive Rally is a little over rated, with the difficulty level being all over the place from race to race, and the tedious money gimmick.

Checkered Flag is awful, nuff said.

So what is your favorite Jag racer?

Thorsten Günther

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 01:05:10 am »

I actually prefer Power Drive Rally and Atari Karts a little over Super Burnout. The problem with Atari Karts being that it takes much too long to get more karts unlocked. But I always like top-down racers starting with "Rally Speedway" on my A8, and PDR is a great title of this genre.

Thorsten

remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:13:41 am »

Well, World Tour Racing is the best poly racer that's for sure.  Not that CF is much competition.   Wink

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
kgenthe

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 01:46:57 am »

I actually prefer Power Drive Rally and Atari Karts a little over Super Burnout. The problem with Atari Karts being that it takes much too long to get more karts unlocked. But I always like top-down racers starting with "Rally Speedway" on my A8, and PDR is a great title of this genre.

Thorsten

I definitely want to get my hands on Atari Karts, but cannot afford it at the moment. I've enjoyed top down racers since RC Pro Am on the NES. I think the 8-16 bit hardware could not really do the 3rd person perspective quite like the arcades did in the late 80's. Things like Out Run and Hang On on the SMS are too dull and boring, even 16-bit racers like the Lotus series were terrible. But Super Burnout really does it for me.

Power Drive Rally is a great little Jaguar title though, relatively uncommon and overshadowed by Tempest 2000 or Aliens vs. Predator.

Thorsten Günther

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 07:45:37 pm »

I think the 8-16 bit hardware could not really do the 3rd person perspective quite like the arcades did in the late 80's. Things like Out Run and Hang On on the SMS are too dull and boring, even 16-bit racers like the Lotus series were terrible.

I, too, dislike the Lotus games and most of the other 1st person perspective racers from the early days, but with some exceptions (only games I have actually played): "Vroom!", "Stunt Car Racer" and "No Second Prize" on the Atari ST and "Pole Position" on the A8. The only drawback of "Stunt Car Racer" ist the low frame rate - a game of this type would be great on the Jaguar.

Thorsten
ggn

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:00:41 pm »

The only drawback of "Stunt Car Racer" ist the low frame rate

Did you try this on a Falcon or TT? Smiley
sh3-rg

push the button today

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 09:56:18 pm »

Quote from: Thorsten Günther link=topic=105.msg1048#msg1048
with some exceptions (only games I have actually played): "Vroom!", "Stunt Car Racer" and "No Second Prize" on the Atari ST

Vroom!, Stunt Car Racer, NSP all great - but Buggy Boy is still my personal favourite driving game - one of the very first ST games played when I got my ST - I've only played 2 ST games more Wink

_ __sh3/reservoir_gods^reboot___ _
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:58 pm »

A new Stuntcar on the Jag would absolutely kick ass!  That game is just awesome.   Grin

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
GT Turbo

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 06:58:15 am »

A new Stuntcar on the Jag would absolutely kick ass!  That game is just awesome.   Grin

\o/

GT Smiley
kgenthe

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 07:14:00 am »

I, too, dislike the Lotus games and most of the other 1st person perspective racers from the early days, but with some exceptions (only games I have actually played): "Vroom!", "Stunt Car Racer" and "No Second Prize" on the Atari ST and "Pole Position" on the A8. The only drawback of "Stunt Car Racer" ist the low frame rate - a game of this type would be great on the Jaguar.

Thorsten
The only first person 16 bit racer I enjoyed was the Road Rash series, especially Road Rash II. Despite the somewhat sluggish frame rate, it did a decent job of conveying a 3D world, and wasn't boring like most other racing games of the time. I didn't have anything but a NES and Genesis during the early nineties, so I have never played any of the computer games. Wasn't Stunt Car Racer released on the Genesis as well?

Fredifredo

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 09:56:07 am »

Is SuperBurnout Smiley
kgenthe

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 05:57:08 pm »

Added a poll to the thread, vote!

doctorclu

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »

I think Club Drive is my favorite driving game.  But then no tracks.

That aside, Atari Karts is a lot of fun.

"Atari Karts - Mario Kart clone complete with Mode 7 style graphics"

Refresh my memory, what is mode 7?
kgenthe

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 08:53:52 pm »

The term Mode 7 originated on the Super NES video game console, on which it describes a simple texture mapping graphics mode that allows a background layer to be rotated and scaled. By modifying the scaling and positioning of the layer on a scanline-by-scanline basis, a simple perspective effect can be applied, transforming the layer into a 2-dimensional horizontal texture-mapped plane that trades height for depth. Thus, an impression of 3-dimensional graphics is achieved.

F-Zero and Mario Kart are the most prominent examples of the SNES's famed Mode 7 mode.

doctorclu

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 05:13:25 am »

Oh, so when you say Mode 7 you say the Jaguar was at least comparable graphics wise?

I am a big fan of the Jaguar stuff, but have to say the SNES was amazing with what that system could do.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length