Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2019, 07:54:43 am
Home Help Login Register
News: New Game Released - Beebris

+  Free Jaguar Project
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  General Chat
| | |-+  Introduce Yourself
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 15079 times)
doctorclu

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 04:44:35 am »

That is interesting.. don't like some at JS2, don't enjoy browsing Atariage.  So what is it about here that you like?

So to not derail this, I'll start THIS thread...
http://freejag.atari.org/forum/index.php?topic=41.0

And say welcome to Tau Ceti (only 12 light years away right?)  and jMetal88
ggn

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 02:41:44 pm »

Doc Clu made me post here Tongue

Well, nothing too exciting about me, I have used a 800XL from 1986, in mid-july 1990 I got an STE, and from 2006 onwards I got a lot of other Ataris. I hack and code for them.

I'm here because it's free, it's Atari and it's Jaguar Smiley
doctorclu

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 05:11:39 pm »

Thank you.  Was that so hard?  Tongue
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 11:49:01 pm »

I had a Jaguar a few years back, was(and technically still am) a member on AtariAge. Jumped on board the JSII train back when it first got started(member 40, methinks), and i've just been bouncing around and lurking ever since.

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
doctorclu

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 09:47:55 pm »

Welcome.  So what got you hooked on the Jaguar?

In my case, I'm not quite sure.  I think I bought a Jaguar because it was an Atari console, wasn't too impressed with Cybermorph, and then had Bubsy, Tempest, and AvP for a while.
TheGrandPubaa

Cogito, ergo deleo.

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 12:15:34 am »

When I was still getting my feet wet on the internet(circa 2002), I decided to look up stuff on Atari, which, to that point, was just a fleeting memory of my childhood. Found a whole bunch of Atari stuff all over, ran through the usual 2600 stuff, learned about Atari consoles I had never even heard of, and got interested in Jaguar. I realized at some point that the Jaguar held the promise of being an open development platform and that new games were being made for it. This was pretty cool to me back then, new games for an old system.

I've since learned the folly of my naivety, but for a time, it was exciting to read anything Jaguar related. OMC Games stuff in particular was really getting my juices flowing, but those ideas  never panned out, sadly. Poor James...

I dunno, at some point, I just realized I wasn't playing my Jaguar, and even though there were many games I hadn't played up to that point, it just felt pointless to continue collecting. I do like collecting conceptually, but in reality, it takes more money than I can spare. It's a fun hobby, but I have other fun hobbies that take up my time and cash, such as eating. Well, that's not all. I lost a lot of hope when the second realization dawned on me. Any new games that were ever going to come out would be prohibitively expensive or simplified to the point of complete disinterest. There's nothing new in the pipe that is remotely interesting to me, and the paltry homebrew scene pales in comparison to more modern systems such as the Dreamcast or DS or PSP or GP2x, et cetera. Even the 2600 has a more active homebrew scene than the Jaguar.

Hmm...didn't mean to pontificate there...

IF there were a decent Jaguar emulator I actually had access to with my hardware, I would probably try out those other releases I missed when I was collecting. Probably not the newer releases, partly because the developers are adamant against such a thing, but mostly because they aren't exciting in the least.

Speaking of, did that supposed Tempest 2000 emulator ever hit the GP2x? That sounded pretty interesting a few years ago, but I stopped following it since, at the time, I didn't even have one.

I don't own a Jaguar anymore. Wanna give me a compelling reason to buy another one?
remowilliams
Tech Group

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 02:37:36 am »

Speaking of, did that supposed Tempest 2000 emulator ever hit the GP2x? That sounded pretty interesting a few years ago, but I stopped following it since, at the time, I didn't even have one.

Last I remember GPX T2K was still being worked on (this was probably over a year ago), and the author was trying to get sound going.   I've got hopes that someone will be taking a crack at it for the Pandora.  If anyone ever gets one...   Grin

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in. Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be." -Sam Vimes (Thud!, Terry Pratchett)
sh3-rg

push the button today

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 11:58:26 pm »

Hello, I'm kZa from reboot. My main reason for joining is just because I want to be here from the start(ish).

I think this forum has the potential to become something fairly unique in the Jaguar community - maybe a safe haven from the kind of politics that prevents the casually interested gamer from participating elsewhere.

I love the JS2 site for it's large userbase & knowledgeable members. I love Atari Age for it's instant accessibility. I love the Jagware site because you get a great insight into the things happening in a different section of the community. All three sites are very good but none of them is the definitive resource. But this site seems like the kind of place with the potential to encompass any and all that as long as things don't get out of hand (and by that I mean certain individuals spoiling things by breaking the rules). If people like DoctorClu can bring ex-Jag devs here & they are going to be willing to chat with us about their games, well, that's just amazing! I was there right at the start of the Jaguar, a fan waiting & waiting for the release, reading all those bits of info on what passed for the internet back then Wink If I can recapture just a little of that spirit form those days by visiting here, then wow, I'll stick around on Jaguar for quite a while yet Wink

So hello to everyone who has joined so far. Let's keep this clean, legal & within the rules & I'm sure together we can build the kind of community any atari machine deserves.  Smiley

EDIT: oops, I seem to have dropped off mid-sentence... removed Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:42:47 am by -kZa- » Logged

_ __sh3/reservoir_gods^reboot___ _
kgenthe

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 12:17:44 am »

I have been an avid gamer since the late 80's and collecting video games since the mid 90's. I came to this site because it has the same feel as some of other web forums I frequent, where betas and protos are released to the public for free, and no one complains and bitches about the legality of it. Where I can post problems about an emulator without having to defend myself for using said emulator. I enjoy the other Jaguar communities, no doubt. Just looking for some fresh air Smiley I am NOT here because I think it's a safe haven for piracy.

Anyway, let me take this opportunity to plug my site Smiley http://implantgames.com/ Check it out, I pour a lot of time and energy into it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:12:12 am by kgenthe » Logged

sh3-rg

push the button today

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 12:55:48 am »

^ Check that site, some interesting stuff, including some Jag reviews.

_ __sh3/reservoir_gods^reboot___ _
Hellcat
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 12:58:34 am »

I have been an avid gamer since the late 80's and collecting video games since the mid 90's. I came to this site because it has the same feel as some of other web forums I frequent, where betas and protos are released to the public for free, and no one complains and bitches about the legality of it. Where I can post problems about an emulator without having to defend myself for using said emulator. I enjoy the other Jaguar communities, no doubt. Just looking for some fresh air Smiley I am NOT here because I think it's a safe haven for piracy.

Anyway, let me take this opportunity to plug my site Smiley http://implantgames.com/ Check it out, I poor a lot of time and energy into it.

Welcome.
Don't forget to post in Game Reviews thread. A List of what systems have reviews would work there as well.
kgenthe

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 01:15:09 am »

kZa, thanks for the support and the comments, much appreciated

Hellcat, done, I somehow missed that thread  Huh

miker

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 07:46:53 am »

Hi everyone!

I'm miker form Blowjobb and New Generation groups.

I'm rather occacional Jag user (have the console and a few [really!] carts). And thus I concentrate mainly on Jag-emulators. I'm mainly Atari 8-bit user (some call me evenmusician Wink ).

Well - haven't have much experience with introduciing myself, I'd rather may introduce some interesting projest.

Thanks for the site!

miker
Zerosquare

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 07:54:34 pm »

Hello, I'm Zerosquare. Some of you may know me already from Jagware or AtariAge.

I'm not much into Jaguar gaming ; I didn't have one back in the day, and there are only a handful of games I actually enjoy on it (Tempest 2000 being among them).

On the other hand, I love tinkering with unusual hardware, and the Jaguar is a pretty peculiar beast to say the least ! That's why I joined Jagware two and a half years ago. My main activity is working on the JagCF project with SCPCD ; besides that, I'm also involved in miscellaneous hardware and software stuff. 

Beside my day job which is electronics engineering, my main other interests are music and sound in general, video, and videogames when I find the time Wink
Thorsten Günther

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 07:46:57 pm »

Moin, moin!

My name actually is Thorsten Günther, I live in Northern Germany, and I started buying/collecting Jaguar games in it's heyday and ever since, although I too rarely hook it up to play. My hardware and software collection is almost complete (except for a VR helmet, some of the homebrew titles and - for some reason - Troy Aikman Football).

I hope Jaguar emulation will some day be decent enough to take all my games with me an a handheld console or notebook PC instead of having to carry the Jag around.

Thorsten

Ah yes: please excuse my sometimes clumsy English.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length